Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Edward Mc Lean WR / 502903 Royal Engineers IWT

barry polland

Hi.

I'm new to the site and am trying to trace the movements of my great grandfather during the war. He was a fisherman by trade which might explain his enrolement in the Royal Engineers Inland Water Transport.

I have a letter from the War Office that my gran had requested in 1953 asking for details on her fathers service, it includes the following,

Sapper Edward Mc Lean RE Inland Water Transport No. WR / 502903 and No. 178774.

Enlisted Belfast 29 June 1916, transferred to 'Z' Army reserve 04 Aug 1919, discharged 31 March 1920.

Awarded British War Medal and Victory Medal RE / 104 B11 3120.

From his Unit Registration Card, AGZ 500, section 1 refers to the dispersal area UK to which proceeding as X1 (11?) and section 2 industrial group as shown on AFZ 8 as 2.

His Certificate of Transfer to Reserve on Demobilisation, AFZ 21, states that he has served overseas on active service and that the place of rejoining in case of emergency is Sandwich.

I have carried out a little internet research and know that the IWT operated a large base from Richborough in Kent near Sandwich supplying troops and equipment to France.

From the information I have given from the documents referred to can anyone help me find out what his regiment was and where they would have served during the war and what his role in the IWT may have been?

Thanks.