Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st warwickshire regiment

nevgeoran

hi all,am trying to trace the last movements of a john dunne 8851,who was KIA 25 dec 1915.i know he was buried at sucerie military cemetery at colincamps and his battalion was in the 4th DIV.does anybody know what the 1st RWR where doing then and where were they?also how many casualties they had on the 25th?thanks for your help.

1st Warwicks - Redan Ridge/Mailly Maillet sector - where they arrived in August 1915 and took over French trenches. He was the only casualty that day. 3 men were sent to hospital for unspecified reasons.

War Diary...

Xmas Day. Relieved 10th RIR trenches in evening. Quiet relief. One man killed.

My account...

"On December 1 CSM Arthur Dodd was killed coming from the trenches when a sentry mistook him for a German sniper. He came from Rugby and had been in the army for 14 years (214). It seems that the idea of holding the front line ‘by posts’ only because of the conditions was not just a 48th Division idea used by the Warwicks Terriorials as the 1st Battalion did the same from at least December 8. In late January 1916 the battalion held eight such posts. On December 20 2nd Lieutenant Waener led a patrol ‘in front of the Quadrilateral’. Christmas Eve was observed as a holiday as the battalion relieved the 10/Royal Irish Regiment on Christmas Day. Private John Dunne was killed on that day, probably during the relief. He was born in County Kildare, Ireland, but was resident in Birmingham".

Incidentally I have no extra info on him in my Warwicks database. Have you got any?

hi alan,thanks for that info.i don,t have much on john yet only that he was born in monasterevin,co kildare and was living in birmingham.i have his enlistment location as naas, co kildare.it seems funny that he would travel back to kildare to sign on and then join the warwickshire's.maybe visiting family!he arrived in france on 6/7/15.am gonna look up his family in the local records,but it'll be awhile.i can pm you more information when i get it ,if your interested.thanks again for the above,nev.

Yes please

I will be patient

Alan

hi alan,thanks for that info.i don,t have much on john yet only that he was born in monasterevin,co kildare and was living in birmingham.i have his enlistment location as naas, co kildare.it seems funny that he would travel back to kildare to sign on and then join the warwickshire's.maybe visiting family!he arrived in france on 6/7/15.am gonna look up his family in the local records,but it'll be awhile.i can pm you more information when i get it ,if your interested.thanks again for the above,nev.