Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

134280 E H Raynham sapper R.E.

EnEssCee

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone with access to the ancestry website could track down the service record for my Mother in law's relative, 134280 E H Raynham, a sapper in the Royal Engineers.

I have managed to get this information from the two medals in her possession (War medal and Victory medal) but no "Star" medal.

Here's hoping someone can make an old lady very happy!!!

Thanks, in anticipation,

Regards,

Nigel.

MIC on TNA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4 - costs £2 to download

Medal card of Raynham, Ernest H

Royal Engineers 134280 Sapper

Assuming this is him in 1911:

RAYNHAM, Ernest Henry Head Married M 38 1873 Commercial Traveller St Pancras London

RAYNHAM, Bertha Annie Wife Married 15 years F 40 1871 St Pancras London

RAYNHAM, Hilda Bartroys Daughter F 14 1897 School Islington London

RAYNHAM, Gwendoline Emma Daughter F 9 1902 School Islington London

Living at 42 Alex Park Road, Edmonton, Wood Green, London with 2 servants

Grant

MIC on TNA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4 - costs £2 to download

Medal card of Raynham, Ernest H

Royal Engineers 134280 Sapper

Assuming this is him in 1911:

RAYNHAM, Ernest Henry Head Married M 38 1873 Commercial Traveller St Pancras London

RAYNHAM, Bertha Annie Wife Married 15 years F 40 1871 St Pancras London

RAYNHAM, Hilda Bartroys Daughter F 14 1897 School Islington London

RAYNHAM, Gwendoline Emma Daughter F 9 1902 School Islington London

Living at 42 Alex Park Road, Edmonton, Wood Green, London with 2 servants

Grant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the prompt response, however this not the man, Ernest had a wife called Rosa and they had 6 children, 4 girls and 2 boys.

Regards,

Nigel.

Nigel

The Medal Card shows only the two medals your MiL already has. It indicates that he didn't enter a war zone until after 1915. There are details which would lead to you to his original Medal Roll at the National Archives. Ordinarily,with Infantry,it will show the unit he served when first into a war theatre,but the RE doesn't do that. You could ask the RE Museum in Chatham to tell you what they know,they might have something but it takes a while for a response.

I could find no service (or pension, if he indeed got one from the Army) records on the info you provide.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the prompt response, however this not the man, Ernest had a wife called Rosa and they had 6 children, 4 girls and 2 boys.

..... And born in Bradfield, Suffolk in 1877, a Carpenter, married for 6 yrs.

The more information that people can give about the man their looking for, it makes the job of others who are willing to help look a whole sight easier

Grant

..... And born in Bradfield, Suffolk in 1877, a Carpenter, married for 6 yrs.

The more information that people can give about the man their looking for, it makes the job of others who are willing to help look a whole sight easier

Grant

Hi Grant,

I do detect a bit of frustration in your reply, and I do apologise, it's just my post was about the man, I didn't want to put in a load of stuff that would look better on Genes Reunited (lol)

Penny (MiL) "lost" her relative, sapper Raynham, prior to him remarrying, and didn't have ANY information on his first wife etc, or even where he was born! So, what you did find was a big result!

Sotonmate,

Thanks for the "Chatham" info, i'll try to find the contact details, as Penny (MiL) has MS and wheelchair bound, so is a bit limited in what she can and cannot do.

Regards to all,

Nigel.