Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Insignia Q

trenchtrotter

RFC / RAF is not my speciality. I have a PC of a sgt in the RFC and he has a four prop propellor blade badge above the stripes. What was the significance of this badge / insignia?

Thanks in advance.

TT

A four blade prop basically denotes a seargent/senior NCO rank when worn in combination with chevrons, it evolved into the rank of Flight Sgt. but worn over invert three chevrons was a sgt. major I believe if worn alone it was an airframe mechanic qualifiaction, and later with two blades became leading aircraftsman. depending on the era between 1916-1922 it could mean a variety of things depending on what sort of other insignia it was coupled with and the nomenclature changed too. But I beleive you could have sgt's cehrons without the pops if the indivudual did not have mechanical duties, this is fomr memory so I may be off base on a few points but I think is the general nature of the props on sleeves in the rfc

The two bladed prop means Air Mechanic 1st Class.

Flight Sergeant was the four bladed prop over THREE chevrons, Sergeant Major was the 4 bladed prop over FOUR inverted chevrons - on its own, the four bladed prop didn't mean anything

http://www.britairforce.com/rfc_1.htm

Many thanks all...so didnt mean wearer was actual air crew?

Think I understand.

TT

Could be either way - could be a Flight Sergeant Observer or Pilot (in which case he should have the RFC wings or flying arsehole), or just ground crew

Thanks all..

TT

• 2 weeks later...
Many thanks all...so didnt mean wearer was actual air crew?

The distinction between air crew and ground crew in WWI was not as rigid as it was later. Ground crew could be used in the air, even pilots could be used for ground duties - particularly at the start of the war.