Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pith helmet WW1 or what date

biffrocks

Hi

I have just picked up this pith helmet and am not sure what age it is, it looks similar too ones I have seen during the WW1 period but I am not sure so thought this would be the best place to ask for advice.

Thanks

Rob

Pith2.jpg">

Additional Pics

Pith1.jpg">Pith3.jpg">

Is it possible to see any pictures of the liner? From the outside, it looks like it has the four pins going through the outer shell to the inside, where the liner would be held in with split pins, which would likely make it post-date 1925.

Is it possible to see any pictures of the liner? From the outside, it looks like it has the four pins going through the outer shell to the inside, where the liner would be held in with split pins, which would likely make it post-date 1925.

Hi Andrew

Unfortunatley I haven't got the liner just the shell. I'm not sure what age it is just it looked similar to WW1 ones.

Thanks again for your help and knowledge

Rob

Unfortunatley I haven't got the liner just the shell. I'm not sure what age it is just it looked similar to WW1 ones.

Thanks again for your help and knowledge

The helmet you have is the Wolseley type, which was one of the main types issued during WW1. The problem is they were manufactured since the late 19th century in large numbers until 1942, have been reproduced since then, and are still being used by the Royal Marines today for dress purposes.

Earlier issue ones tend to have a higher crown than later ones, a wider puggaree with more (7-9) folds, no foil lining on the inside, and liners that tended to be fixed permanently in place with rivetts or similar. This wasn't a satisfactory state of affairs for making repairs, so in 1925 the "Vero" liner was developed. This utilised the pins I have (badly) pictured below, these came from a damaged helmet I'm cannabalising to yield spares for a better condition example I'm attempting to restore. The four pins went through holes made in the cork (sometimes felt was used to make them) so the loops were on the inside. The leather liner band itself had small loops that would line up with these, split-pins would pass between the two and hold them together. Thus, if the liner became damaged, etc, the pins could relatively easily be pulled out, and the liner and pins holding it replaced.

I think I can see the holes for these pins on your helmet in the same place mine came from, so likely post-1925.

http://s1.postimage.org/1ZOOJ-5d2c5693c387...5428afbe62d.jpg

1ZOOJ.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have here a Canadian made pith helmet, this is fabricate by: ANDERSON MACBETH LTD TORONTO(king helmet) data mark 1914. Maker marker on helmet and strap. This tipe of helmet where worn in 1914 Canada at Camp Valcantiers by cavalry(mounted) or gunners. But now I seen this topic I whas wondering if the data in the helmet is correct, becase it look a lot like the helmet from 1925 only the inerliner it is not fixed(what I cane see or feel) whit the pins. So if any one cane tell more, I like to here.

Best regards, Hans

post-51839-0-22927100-1361734803_thumb.j

post-51839-0-50435700-1361734821_thumb.j

post-51839-0-69417200-1361734834_thumb.j

post-51839-0-99758300-1361734847_thumb.j

post-51839-0-11060400-1361734860_thumb.j

Suprised to see this one bumped up again - your 1914 Wolseley looks absolutely spot on and unmessed with to me. It has that slightly different shape that generally characterizes those made in that period, with the permanently fixed-in liner with (in this case, cork) spacers to allow fresh air to circulate when worn.