Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Notts Derby Band

jacks4jules

Was the 6th Notts Derby Sherwood Forrester band made up of the members of The New Mills (Derbyshire)Silver band that enlisted en-block.

I am interested as have read about them leading the Canadians out of the trenches after in 1915 after there first encounter with gas.

Im also from NEW Mills would be interested in any info about the band or anything related.

Julian

Its my understanding that the 2/6th Battn enlisted a band en masse (but I always thought they were from the Buxton area; will double check)

cheers

Mike

p.s.

I've tried to PM you some info on Major Hall but your box is full and I can't find your e-mail address since I changed PC :wacko:

Was the 6th Notts Derby Sherwood Forrester band made up of the members of The New Mills (Derbyshire)Silver band that enlisted en-block.

I am interested as have read about them leading the Canadians out of the trenches after in 1915 after there first encounter with gas.

Im also from NEW Mills would be interested in any info about the band or anything related.

Julian,

Here is another picture of the 6th Btn Band, you may already have it but Lt/Col Hall DSO,TD is in the centre with Major Seaton MC,DCM,MBE on his right and next to him is Bandmaster W.J. Mc Farlane. BRONNO.

post-30693-1271589235.jpg

On November the 20th 1914 Colonel Clayton enlisted en bloc the New Mills Prize Band into 2/6th Battn under Band Sergt Beard. The band was later moved to the 29th Provisional battalion in January 1916 so i don't know if they went overseas in January 1917.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike

Looks like it wasn't the New Mills band then though there was at leat two former New Mills band members in the 6th Notts Derby band.

Maybe they got scattered about after enlisting.

Thanks again

Julian

On November the 20th 1914 Colonel Clayton enlisted en bloc the New Mills Prize Band into 2/6th Battn under Band Sergt Beard. The band was later moved to the 29th Provisional battalion in January 1916 so i don't know if they went overseas in January 1917.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike

Looks like it wasn't the New Mills band then though there was at leat two former New Mills band members in the 6th Notts Derby band.

Maybe they got scattered about after enlisting.

Thanks again

Julian

Don't forget that some men of the 6th were former members of the Thornsett Band (maybe thats the connection)

This is the 6th Band in clumber park camp 1913

band_at_clumber_1913.jpg

post-4619-1271607994.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike I only just seen your post!!

Well I think that many 6th bandsmen were members of New Mills or Thornsett band.

Great photo .

Cheers

Don't forget that some men of the 6th were former members of the Thornsett Band (maybe thats the connection)

This is the 6th Band in clumber park camp 1913

post-4619-1271607994.jpg