South Wales Borderers 1915-Cpl JT Gage

David643

Cpl John Thomas Gage –1st South Wales Borderers

Number 10699

Died of Wounds 23.9.1915

Buried Chocques Military Cemetery

Born Faversham Kent in 1895

Lived in Chatham, Kent

I am researching the above soldier who is a relative. I have found his medal card that confirms issue of the 1914 Star, BWM and VM. His army service record appears not to have survived. The “Chatham News” reports his death in one sentence and states that his mother lives in Faversham. I have yet to check the “East Kent Gazette” for Faversham.

His medal card states that the date of entry into theatre is 13 August 1914 –so I believe he must have been a regular or territorial soldier in the months leading up to the war. I think the SWB arrived in France on 13th August.

Please can forum experts advise me whether there are any other sources for me to consult such as medical clearing station records or information about the SWB’s

I am assuming that the action in which he was wounded in the Battle of Loos – but if any members can advise me further on this and additional research opportunities I would be most grateful

Thank you

David

David,

You could try the Museum at Brecon in South Wales, when I was looking for one of mine they had some note books with some casualty names in. I seem to recall that a personal visit is required.

Museum - http://www.rrw.org.uk/museums/brecon/fact_sheets/25.htm

The museum is based inside the old Barracks and is well worth a visit

Grant

David

Battle of Loos was from the 25th Sept 1915,but he may have been wounded in the run-up to it.

He was certainly in the area for that battle. Choques had No 1 Casualty Clearing Station which buried it's dead in the vicinity. The surviving CCS records at Kew (series MH106) do not contain anything for 1 CCS,the first "sample records" saved were for 3 CCS.

You could get a read of the battalion War Diary,which is at Kew under WO95/1280. The good news is that it is digital and can be downloaded from the National Archives Catalogue for 3.50.

You may or may not be able to identify the point at which he was wounded. If the SWB follow the convention of most it won't name wounded casualties,so if there were a series of wounded you would be hard-pressed to decide which day he was. Look on the bright side,they might name him.

Sotonmate