Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conquerors of Baghdad

ddycher

All

In recent media articles pushing for the maintainance of the Brigade of Gukhas I keep reading ref's to the 2/3rd Gurkhas being at Baghdad. However everything I have says they were in the Meerut Division in France, then the 10th Indian Division in Egypt, part of the 29th Indian Bde in the Southern Canal Section of the EEF and finally part of the 232nd Bde in the 75th Division before returning to India and the North West Frontier.

Just me or is this an original error which has been copied again and again by ill informed journalists ?

Regards

Dave

All

In recent media articles pushing for the maintainance of the Brigade of Gukhas I keep reading ref's to the 2/3rd Gurkhas being at Baghdad. However everything I have says they were in the Meerut Division in France, then the 10th Indian Division in Egypt, part of the 29th Indian Bde in the Southern Canal Section of the EEF and finally part of the 232nd Bde in the 75th Division before returning to India and the North West Frontier.

Just me or is this an original error which has been copied again and again by ill informed journalists ?

Regards

Dave

None of the orders pf battle in Mesopotamia record the presence of 2/7 Gurkhas although there are several other Gurkha units present throughout the Campaign.

Regards

Ron

The very first British or Empire troops to enter Baghdad were in fact the 1/5th Buffs (East Kent Regiment). I have seen photos of them walking into Baghdad. That said the British relied very heavily upon Indian and Empire troops throughout the Mespot campaign. It's quite likely indeed probable that Gurkha soldiers would have followed the Buffs.