Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Battalion AIF April 1917

raskill

Just wondering if anyone *might* have, or know of, any diaries from members of the 13th Battalion AIF from around the 1st battle of Bullecourt?

They will help me to complete my research into Pte George Sydney Moppet.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum Al.

Firstly I assume you have had a look at the 13th Battalion War Diary and Bean's Official History for the Bullecourt battles online at the AWM site.

There is also a Battalion History, The Fighting Thirteenth by T A White that has recently been reprinted by Naval & Military Press. I have seen this available out here.

Regarding personal accounts/diaries of men who were in the 13th I'm not sure if there are any. If it is of any use Harry Murray was with the 13th Battalion at that stage and is mentioned prominently in Les Carlyon's good account of First Bullecourt in his book the "Great War". I note in his references for this chapter that he used a couple of Harry Murray's articles that were printed in "Reveille" in the 1930's. They would be useful accounts if you could track them down.

I noticed in George Moppet's ADFA entry-

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=213408

that there is mention that he is commemorated in Thirlmere Cemetery in NSW. Thirlmere is a small village south of Sydney near the town of Picton. If you are not living in Oz let me know as I know the cemetery and occasionally travel down that way so could check for you what the commemoration is (I assume he is mentioned on his parents grave). There is also a small memorial in the village, but I can't remember if any soldiers are listed on it.

Hope that helps.

Scott

The war diary for the Battalion is available at the AWM, along with all the others.

Follow this and it will take you straight there.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks folks. I must say, I find it very touching that there are people so helpful and keen to assist with this issue, which will eventually allow me to let my own son know of the sacrifice his g/g grandfather made.

Al,

I'd forgotten about this book-

So Far From Home: The remarkable diaries of Eric Evans, an Australian soldier during World War 1. Edited by Patrick Wilson. ISBN0731810686. Published by kangaroo Press in 2002.

Eric Evans served in the 13th Battalion AIF.

Scott