Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenants Dennis & Sharpe

Chris Noble

Hi

Now this has only come to 'fruition' as they say.

I received a disc a number of years back (maybe 5)? as regards a narrative of operations of the 2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment during the 21st March 1918. I can't for the life of me which Forum Pal sent the info, maybe Steve B. or Chris, but the source is not referenced and i didn't make a note of who sent it!

I presume it is included in the War Diary, the narrative being compiled by Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Roffey D.S.O., Officer Commanding.

I would like to know any thoughts on the identities of these two Second Lieutenants, mentioned in the narrative, and, i quote:

'Patrols were sent out at 8.50 a.m. under 2/Lts E.A. Dennis and F. Sharpe along Ecoust Spur and Track to Vraucourt Copse respectively.'

Who are these officers?

Is Dennis, Ernest Dennis, 2/4th Lincs?

Sharpe, a Notts. & Derby chap?

The narrative, as regards casualties lists that Second Lieutenant F. Sharpe is 'missing' on this date.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Chris.

How about this fellow?

Medal card of Dennis, Ernest Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Lincolnshire Regiment attached Royal Air Force Lieutenant

Lincolnshire Regiment attached Royal Air Force Captain

Hi IPT.

I have Dennis as initially serving with 2/4th Lincs which would lead one to believe that 177th Brigade were sending out active patrols but no officers of the 2/5th unless he was attached to the battalion were actively involved in this 'work.' As regards Sharpe, this is also interesting. I tried a London Gazette search that alluded to one ' F. Sharpe' also linked to the R.A.F.

Is it possible that these two officers were recconoitering enemy positions as attached to the 59th Division from the R.A.F.

Confusing myself here!!!

If needs be, i am at the N.A. in the next couple of weeks anyhow and i will look at the War Diary.

Thanks IPT for your input.

Best wishes.

Chris.

This chap is on TNA:

Medal card of Sharpe, Frank

Lincolnshire Regiment 793 Corporal

Lincolnshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Cant see him on CWGC though - if he was missing

Grant

Hi Chris

I think that Steve maybe sent it to you. Is the quote that you have the following:

'Patrols were sent out at 8:50am under 2nd/Lts E.A. OENNIS and F.SHARPE along ECOUST

SPUR and track to VRACOURT COPSE respectively. These patrols reported heavy

shelling of ECOUST and on firing and support lines of 3rd. system. Also a runner

of 178 Brigade informed them that no enemy infantry attack had developed by 9:00am

in the front system.'

This is from the war diary of the 2/5th Battalion as well. There are other mentions in the War Diary of 2nd Lieut E A Dennis as follows:

29/1/18 - Amongst a large draft of officers and men who join the Battalion during the reorganistion of Brigades from 4 Battalion to 3 Battalion structure. War Diary references that they have come from the 1/4th Lincolns.

12/2/18 - Mentioned as being in B Company

22/3/18 - Listed as one of only 5 officers adn approx 80 men of the Battalion who remain following the previos days acivities.

As regards F Sharpe as follows:

October 1917 - Listed as joining the 2/5th Battalion on 31st October 1917 from the 3rd Lincolns

March 1918 - Listed as missing in action on 21st March 1918. Cannot find on CWGC so quess he was amongst the captured????

Hope that helps a bit

Chris

Could this be him, or a relative?

Name: SHARPE, LEONARD

Initials: L F R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 27/07/1918

Additional information: Son of Robert James and Sarah Sharpe, of West Norwood, London. Alternative Commemoration - buried in Cork Military Cemetery.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Spec. Memorial.

Memorial: GRANGEGORMAN (CORK) MEMORIAL HEADSTONES

I'm sure the Battalion would record his first name correctly, but he does have "F"in his initials..... just a thought..... he also continued with promotion, to Lieutenant. I'm unsure if there is any significance to the Alternative Commemoration (alternative to where?) plus burial in Cork would imply DoW incurred??

Hi Chris.

Thats it, the narrative of Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Bowyer Roffey D.S.O. attached to the battalion from the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers.

Many thanks Chris and to all who have contributed to the thread.

Best wishes.

Chris.