Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McFarlane/ Neeson

paulcarlin

Hi,

I am researching my Family and I would be extremely gratiful if anyone could gave me any information on either of my grandparents names, who may have fought in WW1. I am both lived in or around Sionmills, co. Tyrone in N. Ireland. The names are: Neeson and Mc Farlane.

Regards

Paul :thumbsup:

Paul

I guess you might have some Christian names here !! The problem is there are over 500 (I stopped looking) McFarlanes in the Medal Cards,and there are (not so bad,but bad enough ) 62 Neesons. The first names would narrow it down !

Anyway...I will guess that one might be James Neeson of Liggartown (?) Sion Mills,Co Tyrone.

He has some good clearish pages of service history on Ancestry UK,so I hope it is yours. He signed on in Jan 1915 and into France in Dec 1915 as Private 6/3887 6 Battalion Connaught Rangers. Shot in the R hand 16.2.1917,home for hospital in Liverpool,recovered,posted as Private 48502 to the 7/8 Bn"Skins" and back to France,shot in the R leg 10.10.1918,home to hospital in Bradford, recovered,posted as Private 69245 to 16 Worcesters (home posting) ...etc.

Three campaign medals,the Medal card says No 2887 but the service record is clear 3887.

So,post the forenames !

Sotonmate

• 2 weeks later...
Paul

I guess you might have some Christian names here !! The problem is there are over 500 (I stopped looking) McFarlanes in the Medal Cards,and there are (not so bad,but bad enough ) 62 Neesons. The first names would narrow it down !

Anyway...I will guess that one might be James Neeson of Liggartown (?) Sion Mills,Co Tyrone.

He has some good clearish pages of service history on Ancestry UK,so I hope it is yours. He signed on in Jan 1915 and into France in Dec 1915 as Private 6/3887 6 Battalion Connaught Rangers. Shot in the R hand 16.2.1917,home for hospital in Liverpool,recovered,posted as Private 48502 to the 7/8 Bn"Skins" and back to France,shot in the R leg 10.10.1918,home to hospital in Bradford, recovered,posted as Private 69245 to 16 Worcesters (home posting) ...etc.

Three campaign medals,the Medal card says No 2887 but the service record is clear 3887.

So,post the forenames !

Sotonmate,

My Grandfather`s names were: James Mc Farlane & John Neeson

.Sotonmate