Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr. Clarke (75688) RGA

stephen p nunn

My better half has just returned from a visit to her mum "up North". She returned with a most welcome present - a BWM to:

Gnr. Charles W. Clarke (75688) of the RGA.

I have found his medal card which indicates entitlement to the pair but can't seem to locate anything else.

Any RGA experts out there that could tell me anything more about Charles and his service please?

Many thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon,

Your best bet to finding his unit if his records are not available is from the medal rolls, although there is no guarantee even then. If it is not shown there then checking local papers and the absent voters list may be worth a try.

Doesn't help much but I can tell you that it is highly likely that he was mobilised around mid April 1916 to No. 3 Depot, Citadel, Plymouth. There doesn't appear to be any obvious battery he joined from here, which is not surprising given the number of men that were turning up at the depots at this time.

Kevin

Maldon,

Your best bet to finding his unit if his records are not available is from the medal rolls, although there is no guarantee even then. If it is not shown there then checking local papers and the absent voters list may be worth a try.

Doesn't help much but I can tell you that it is highly likely that he was mobilised around mid April 1916 to No. 3 Depot, Citadel, Plymouth. There doesn't appear to be any obvious battery he joined from here, which is not surprising given the number of men that were turning up at the depots at this time.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - that is great information and kind of you to respond. Looking at his medal card the Roll is given as RGA 139 B, Page 3852. Can't seem to find a service or pension record.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

SPN Maldon,

How far “up north”, Co. Palatine?

Charles William CLARKE 75688, served as a gunner with 125 Hvy Bty (Co. Palatine). By Armistice he was a Corporal.

This horse drawn battery went out to the Western front in April 1916, which ties in nicely with the analysis of his numbering by Kevin.

Rgds Paul

SPN Maldon,

How far "up north", Co. Palatine?

Charles William CLARKE 75688, served as a gunner with 125 Hvy Bty (Co. Palatine). By Armistice he was a Corporal.

This horse drawn battery went out to the Western front in April 1916, which ties in nicely with the analysis of his numbering by Kevin.

Rgds Paul

Thanks Paul - fantastic information. My wife is from Northallerton but actually bought the medal in Pickering (North Yorkshire). I must admit I hadn't heard of Co. Palatine until your post.

With all this data it really feels like we have brought this chap back to life and his medal will be treasured.

Thank you so much for your help.

SPN

Maldon