Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private S.R. Nicholson Northd. Fus.

stephen p nunn

Evening all. I am after some help as usual. Can anyone tell me anything about the following chap please:

Private Sidney R. NICHOLSON (903) Northumberland Fusiliers.

He also served at some time as 29695 in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

His medal card indicates entitlement to the pair but that is as far as I have got.

Many thanks in advance for any help/information.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

He was actually 18/903 Pte S.R. Nicholson and served with XVI Platoon, 'D' Company, 18th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers). Don't know when the transfer took place to the LNL, but the 18th NF did produce a battalion history and he's in the nominal roll.

He was actually 18/903 Pte S.R. Nicholson and served with XVI Platoon, 'D' Company, 18th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers). Don't know when the transfer took place to the LNL, but the 18th NF did produce a battalion history and he's in the nominal roll.

Wow! - this is great information from a NF expert. Thank you very much indeed. I notice from the LLT that the Battalion landed at Le Havre on 18/1/16 and it was reduced to cadre strength in May 1918. Do you know if he would have been with them on 18/1/16 and what activities took place between then and May 18 - notwithstanding at one point he transferred to the LNLR.

Thank you very much for your help.

SPN

Maldon

As far as I'm aware he would certainly have served with the battalion early on in it's life, possibly being transferred when it was reduced to a cadre. However you'd have to speak to an LNL researcher who could tell you when that particular LNL number was issued. Syd enlisted into the 18th Bn, NF around the 4th November 1914 going off his NF number.

As far as I'm aware he would certainly have served with the battalion early on in it's life, possibly being transferred when it was reduced to a cadre. However you'd have to speak to an LNL researcher who could tell you when that particular LNL number was issued. Syd enlisted into the 18th Bn, NF around the 4th November 1914 going off his NF number.

Great stuff Graham - many thanks once again for your support. Do you know what the 18th got up to between landing at Le Havre on 18/1/16 and being reduced to cadre in May 1918 (when Sidney could have transfered to the LNLR)?

Also - any LNLR experts out there that might throw some light on his transfer/service number (29695)?

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Hi

Please take this tongue in cheek as it is meant,

18/NF got up to the following.

Several desertions at least two SIW and a vast number of AWOL that is not to mention The numerous AF 252 produced for Drunk and Disorderly and any other crime the NCO could find. Which is just about the same as any other Infantry Battalion in the BEF.

What you mean is where did the battalion serve 1916 -1918

see 18th History by Shakespeare, 3th Div History Shakespeare

or cross ref with Tyneside Irish by Sheen and Tyneside Scottish by Stewart & Sheen

they will give you all you need to know

regards

John

Hi

Please take this tongue in cheek as it is meant,

18/NF got up to the following.

Several desertions at least two SIW and a vast number of AWOL that is not to mention The numerous AF 252 produced for Drunk and Disorderly and any other crime the NCO could find. Which is just about the same as any other Infantry Battalion in the BEF.

What you mean is where did the battalion serve 1916 -1918

see 18th History by Shakespeare, 3th Div History Shakespeare

or cross ref with Tyneside Irish by Sheen and Tyneside Scottish by Stewart & Sheen

they will give you all you need to know

regards

John

Thanks John - the southern language obviouslly loses a bit in translation but then I should realise that married to a northerner! All I was after was a brief summary of deployments for the 18th whilst serving abroad between the said dates to fine out what Private Nicholson would have experienced.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Nominal Roll and Itineray from BN history

That's really helpful - many thanks for your support.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Nominal Roll and Itineray from BN history

Sorry - just printed off the roll but can't seem to read or enlarge the BH history (not that good with technology!). Can any kind person post this as an enlargement?

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

Sorry - just printed off the roll but can't seem to read or enlarge the BH history (not that good with technology!). Can any kind person post this as an enlargement?

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

Dear all - still keen to get a readable copy of this page from the BH history. Tried everything but just can't make it out.

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

Where did Sidney R. NICHOLSON live and do you know where he was born?

Alan

No sorry Alan - don't know that but would love to find out. His medals came from York but I know that doesn't really mean anything as such.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon