Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet. WW1? Marked 98 (1898?)

NeilEvans

Hi all,

Arms are not my strong point, far from it, infact i know nothing.

Can anyone indentify the below bayonet? I'm told it was found near to Ypres.

Neil

post-31332-1271343500.jpg

Thanks Tartan

The overall length is 16.5". Blade length is about 11.7"

Neil

No, it's for the Long Lee-Enfield. 1898 would be a correct date for such a rifle.

Neil

I do not think it is Belgian

I think it is a British Pattern 1888 bayonet for the LeeMetford and Magazine Lee Enfield (long) rifles -- like THESE ONES

Chris

Its a British Ptn 1888. I don't know enough about its history to tell you whether it was actually used druing WW1

Its a British Ptn 1888. I don't know enough about its history to tell you whether it was actually used druing WW1

Yes they were, all units armed with Magazine or Charger Loading, Lee Enfields (colloquially referred to as "Long" Lee Enfields) would have sported this type of bayonet. There have been some excellent previous threads on this but the quick summary is these rifles and bayonets were in widespread front line use up until the end of 1915, continued in more limited use through 1916 and even in a couple of identified cases into 1917.

Many TF units went to France and Flanders with them and many were used in the battles in which these units participated (such as Loos).

Here is a member of the 1/4th Gordons in Belgium in late 1915 just prior to 2nd Bellewaarde

post-14525-1271346713.jpg

I love this forum. Thanks to all of you. Is £15 a fair price for the bayonet pictured above?

Neil

I love this forum. Thanks to all of you. Is £15 a fair price for the bayonet pictured above?

Neil

With all the obvious caveats (market, demand, "fair"? etc).... yes. It's in relic condition but one in excellent condition would be a two or three times that minimum so... IMO yes fair.

Check the pommel for unit markings -- these would make it much more "fair" because it may be possible to trace users and link to supposed location of find

Chris

There is a mark that looks like OC or GC. Now looks more like BG

Hi,

is indeed for the Lee-Metford, and yes they were used in the Ypres Salient.

I know of a few that were found on the battlefield near Ypres.

Regards,

Cnock

There is a mark that looks like OC or GC. Now looks more like BG

:w00t: hahaha

can you pin it down? or get a macro photo up here

If it is a unit mark, and the second letter is indeed a G it might be guessed that the first is C, G, S, I or W!

Chris

PS Cnock - while originally for the Lee Metford - p88s were used in WWI in much greater numbers on the Magazine and Charger Loading, Lee Enfields. As has been discussed in previous threads I have serious doubts that Metford rifled weapons were used in F & F.

• 3 years later...

Whoooaaah! GBP 15.00? I'd jump at it! Even in 2010! I would suspect that the current asking price for something like this from someone who doesn't deal would be nearer GBP 30 and GBP 50 from a dealer? Don't know! Hope you bought it! especially with a putative history!