Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Empire troops in British regiments, how common?

bsears

Close enough, except the names. The Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps and the Bermuda Militia Artillery (detachment called Bermuda Contingent Royal Garrison Artillery).

See the topic alrready linked above:

http://1914-1918.inv...h&fromMainBar=1

Is this the same as the Bermuda Garrison Artillery? I have a photo of a Bdr, Dick dated 1916, taken in Bermuda and identified as being that particular unit, and he's definitely white.

The link you posted doesn't work, btw.

• 3 months later...

Is this the same as the Bermuda Garrison Artillery? I have a photo of a Bdr, Dick dated 1916, taken in Bermuda and identified as being that particular unit, and he's definitely white.

The link you posted doesn't work, btw.

Bermuda Garrison Artillery is an accurate description, as the Bermuda Militia Artillery was a part-time reserve for the regular Army detachments of the Royal Garrison Artillery in Bermuda. The usual title given to the overseas contingents, together, is Bermuda Contingent, Royal Garrison Artillery, but many writers have littered the written record with their own variations on the name.

Sorry...geocities is now extincy, along with everything I put up there...e-mail me if you want any info. I'll dig in my paper files. :)

I'll check the list for Bdr. Dick. The BMA wasn't exclusively Black...it's officers, and many of its NCOs were white. Also, what is considered Black in Bermuda is not necessarily the same as in Basutoland. My mum's brothers were conscripted, but never served, as their dark-skinned father (my grandfather, himself with three White grandparents) ruled-out their serving in the BVRC, and their fair hair and skin made those responsible for assigning them to the Rifles or Artillery nervous about sending them to the BMA. In the end, no decision was made, and my uncles were quietly forgotten. This was in the 'fifties. Forty years earlier, had they insisted on serving, they'd probably have gone to the BMA.

... The soldier in his photo might have had forebears living in this country for a hundred years or more...

Or over 400, for example Trumpeter John Blanke served Henry VII and VIII of England: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/early_times/blanke.htm

There were several officers in the RFC/ RAF from the Caribbean during WW1.