Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

51st R.B. title on hut

Stebie9173

This is a picture of a young man born in 1899, plus friends, probably in training. Is this as blimming obvious as I think it is?!

training.jpg

Steve.

Obviously being trained as the "Moppers-up" in an attack.

I know your jokes are bad, but that was beyond the pail....

I'm still deciding what the cap badge is. To be honest it is very much like the Northamptons (with whom he served overseas), and I can't convince myself that it looks enough like the RB badge to head off on a Rifle Brigade route.

Steve.

Could it be "Recruiting Battalion" ?

That is what I thought it might be Terry.

Steve.

I'm still deciding what the cap badge is. To be honest it is very much like the Northamptons (with whom he served overseas), and I can't convince myself that it looks enough like the RB badge to head off on a Rifle Brigade route.

Steve.

Steve,

I have to agree! The badge is round and it's possible the crown has been obscured by the upper part of the cap, but the centre of the badge just doesn't look RB.

The shape of the central part does not seem to have the downward curve of the Ich Dien scroll in the Middlesex's.

I'm seeing the three turrets of Gibraltar, so my money's on Northamptonshires too.

Perhaps they're outside a 51/RB hut by coincidence? Any Northants TR unit sharing the same camp as 51/RB in your records?

Cheers,

Mark

Could it be "Recruiting Battalion" ?

Not a terminology in use at the time, John.

After 1 September 1916 conscripts were generally given in a Training Reserve Battalion, of which there were 112 numbered in a single sequence. These had previously been Reserve Battalions, either from the original K4, or the "3/" battalions of the TF, or the battalions formed from the reserve companies of the locally-raised "Pals" battalions.

Many of these were later disbanded but 69 of them were turned into Graduated (51st and 52nd) or Young Soldier (53rd) battalions of 23 line infantry regiments, so not all regiments had these extra battalions. A man could well have been posted outside the Rifle Brigade after passing through these battalions, and ended up in the Northants or another regiment. Or possibly he was in a TR bn which was originally Northants, and then joined 51st Rifle Brigade later.

I'm virtually certain that Terry Reeves' identification is correct - for the building, anyway!

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly don’t think that the Rifle Brigade/Northants link is coincidence.

For many years my family thought that my maternal grandfather served in the Northants Regt. during 1918-20.We have a photo that shows him standing with a group of soldiers, some of whom appear to be wearing the Northants cap badge (my Grandfather is not wearing any insignia) However, his service record shows that in 1918 he joined the 53rd Young Soldier Battalion, Rifle Brigade and later moved to the 51st Btn. There is no mention of the Northants. I did assume that he just met up with some colleagues from the Northants Regt. and had a photo taken with them but as you have the same issue, I think that there is a definite link.

Maybe they wore the badge of the recruiting office that they signed up at. (Unlikely, I think)

If anyone has any ideas as to why a service record would show one Regt. and the insignia another, please let me know

Steve, do you have any other photos? Just curious as there is every chance that the people in our photos may have known each other.

I also note that you say the Northants served overseas. Do you know where and when they served?

I also note that you say the Northants served overseas. Do you know where and when they served?

Which battalion are you referring to, Stu4199 ?

The Rifle Brigade battalions you refer to were training battalions. Can you tell me who you are referring to and I'll have a think about what he might have done in regards to serving in the Northamptons.

Steve.

As far as I am aware (and correct me if im wrong) the 51st was a training Btn and the 53rd was a 'fighting' btn (at least I assume that is what 'Graduated' signifies) I have copies of their war diaries, which i have not got around to reading yet, which shows that both Battalions went to the Rhine in 1919-20. I wondered if they may have met up with any of the Northants?

My Grandfather was Gerald York, b. 1900.

Thanks

Stu

The Graduated battalions were one of the names that the training battalions for young soldiers went through (the other being Young Soldiers battalions, funnily enough.)

However, I didn't realise that they served overseas after the Armistice in the Occupation Forces. The only battalion of the Northamptons in Germany was the 1st Battalion - they were based at Duisdorf (a separate place to Dusseldorf by the way).

The photo posted at the top of the page isn't mine. I was posting it on behalf of a gentleman I for whom I was researching his father. He too was of similar age, but there is no service record - we have been trying to piece the bits together.

Steve.

The Graduated battalions ... However, I didn't realise that they served overseas after the Armistice in the Occupation Forces.

Steve.

Steve,

You may remember this came up when we looked into Lt Ernest Hayes - a QWR officer who was transferred into 20/KRRC and served in the Army of Occupation in 1919.

20/KRRC absorbed the 53rd (Young Soldiers) Battalion, KRRC in March 1919 allowing the *genuine* 20/KRRC veterans to be demobilised.

See here: What rank is this man?, Photos of a KRRC officer - could anybody tell me his rank?

Cheers,

Mark

Hmm.... Some of my brain seems to be leaking out.....! :o Memories.... I've forgotten the next line....

Steve.

Hmm.... Some of my brain seems to be leaking out.....! :o Memories.... I've forgotten the next line....

Steve.

Been there, done that, got the, err, what was it I got now :whistle:

LOL!

Mark