Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers - Mobile Railway Power Stations

Rob Chester

Can anybody help me with information some pictures that I have. They show a train that has been converted into a mobile power station. The writing on the train says: D.C.T Mobile Power Station no.3 C.M.E. Dept

The personnell all seem to be Royal Engineers.

I have tried to find out information about these trains but have had little success. I assume that they were used to provide electricity to military bases and camps a safe distance behind the lines. Any information would be very gratefully received.

Robert

post-23048-1271324042.jpg

post-23048-1271324056.jpg

post-23048-1271324072.jpg

post-23048-1271324084.jpg

I can't help you there BUT I have copies of:

BRITISH RAILWAYS AND THE GREAT WAR

By E Pratt

(Both volumes)

Published 1928

Let me know if you need anything inside these...

Quite rare nowadays and worth hundreds apparently...

Rob

I believe there were mobile power units specifically for the Railway Operating Division possibly for use with workshops / mobile workshops. CME is Chief Mechanical Engineer. I have a feeling the photographs might have been taken at Audrique, in France, where there was a large stores and railway depot, but I cannot be absolutely sure.

TR

What is interesting about the photos is the absence of a diesel engine or steam recip, therefore making the prime mover a turbine. The adjacent wagons to the Westinghouse Generator seem to a boiler and associated m/cy. Steam being fed into the Geny wagaon through the pipe at the top right hand side, or exhausted through it.

Alan

The wagon in the bottom left photo is a condenser wagon built by Leeds Forge in 1917. Leeds Forge were later taken over by Metro Cammell.

After studying the photographs it is apparent that there are two boiler vans with the generator van between them. The formation from the left is boiler van/generator van/boiler van/condenser wagon, this I have established by examining the structures behind the train. The boiler vans have vertical boilers that are visible at the right hand end, these seem to have some form of mechanical stoking mechanism, the chute to the left of the boiler would be part of this. There is a water tank at the left hand end with fuel bunkers in between. There was probably another condenser wagon at the left hand end.

Taking a closer look at the photos, it can be seen that the top photos are of two different generator wagons.

Alan

Taking a closer look at the photos, it can be seen that the top photos are of two different generator wagons.

Alan

Yes I can see that now you have pointed it out. They all seem to be connected by the pipe running just below the roofs, there are also hoses running from the generator vans probably to the condenser truck(s). The train seems to have been set up on a semi-permanent basis, the chimney like structure on the boiler vans is well out of gauge even for the continent. Looking at the right hand end of the generator vans it appears that they may have reciprocating engines instead of turbines, this seems more likely as the boilers appear to small to generate the pressure for a turbine, but again they could be of the flash boiler type as produced by Sentinel, by their appearance they could even be Sentinel boilers.

Phil as you id'd the condenser trucks, was the coolant water, or big fans which looks to be the case as all the side is open for ventillation?

Very interseted to learn more of this power house arrangement.

Alan

Intrigued by the left hand end of the condenser wagon it looks as if it should be at the end of a carriage: use of a readily available design or off the shelf components possibly?

NigelS

Robert, as you can read the writing on the wagaons, and I can't any chance of some good close ups of the wagaons?

Alan

The cabin I presume is for the guard, in the photograph I have of the wagon it has lamp brackets fitted on the end. This is from an illustration in 'Metro-Cammell 150 years of craftsmanship' page 162. The condensers were not fitted to the wagon in the photograph I have. In the photograph above the large diameter pipe above the wagon probably delivers the cooling water.