Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N L Atkins 5th London Regiment LRB

Rob Chester

I am trying to research the circumstances of the death of Private Norman Lionel Atkins, Service No. 9668. 5th Battalion London Regiment (LRB). Atkins was wounded on the 6th December 1914 and died on the 7th and is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery. Atkins was 19 when he died.

Atkins had joined the Territorials before the war began in 1913. Unfortunately his war service record does not seem to survive.

I am most interested to know if anybody has come across Atkins in the course of their research or if they know anything about him.

Also I have had no success in finding out what the 5th Battalion London reg were doing on the 6th December or where they were. Does anybody have any information about this.

Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Rob

Rob. Soldiers Ddied has the following info if of use :- Born High Wycombe; Enlisted London : Resident Upper Tooting Park. Ralph.

Member erniecrisp is the resident expert on the LRB. I would send him a personal message as he is hugely knowledgeable on the 5th Londons.

Hi Robert

Norman Lionel Atkins joined the London Rifle Brigade on 4.12.1913; 'Q' Company; age 18; lived 29 Hunters Road, Upper Tooting Bec ( London SW 17). He was 19 when he died from wounds; buried Balleuil Cem, Casualty Clearing Staion nearby. LRB was in front line trenches (very basic) in Ploegsteert Wood, Belgium early December 1914. The trenches were heavily shelled Sunday 6th and one man killed while sniping. No deaths recorded for 6th however. reference to the sniping is in the diary of one of this soldier's friends. may have been Atkins; only 6th LRB man to die on active service. Have checked three other diaries - apparently the weather was appalling and the front line trenched kept caving in.

Do you know how Norman wounded, by rifle fire or shell? Several LRB men were wounded by shell fire on 6th.

Chris

Hi Robert

Norman Lionel Atkins joined the London Rifle Brigade on 4.12.1913; 'Q' Company; age 18; lived 29 Hunters Road, Upper Tooting Bec ( London SW 17). He was 19 when he died from wounds; buried Balleuil Cem, Casualty Clearing Staion nearby. LRB was in front line trenches (very basic) in Ploegsteert Wood, Belgium early December 1914. The trenches were heavily shelled Sunday 6th and one man killed while sniping. No deaths recorded for 6th however. reference to the sniping is in the diary of one of this soldier's friends. may have been Atkins; only 6th LRB man to die on active service. Have checked three other diaries - apparently the weather was appalling and the front line trenched kept caving in.

Do you know how Norman wounded, by rifle fire or shell? Several LRB men were wounded by shell fire on 6th.

Chris

The obituary says he was shot, and died the following day. I will email you a copy of the obituary and reference.