Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers killed 1916

Gadge

Harry and Alfred Welham were brothers who were both killed within six months of each other during 1916. Both belonged to the Suffolk Regiment. I have the information from CWWG site, but can anybody help with any more information about hese two men. They both came from Sudbury or Bildeston in Suffolk. Where they enlisted and where they died ? etc Thankyou

Are these your two men? from SDGW :- Alfred 2872 4th Batt Suffolks born Bildeston enlisted Ipswich dow 10-10-16; Harry Frederick 3357 4th Batt Suffolks enlisted Ipswich kia 17-4-16. Ralph.

Harry and Alfred are both recorded on the Bildeston war memorial; as you say both were in the 1/4th Battalion. It's a pity Ray Long's online Cosford Database doesn't appear to be available any more - you may well have found some more info here.

cheers

Steve

Just did a quick check of the 1901 census on Ancestry for you. Both men were indeed born in Bildeston, their parents were Frederick and Louisa Welham.

cheers

Steve

Are these your two men? from SDGW :- Alfred 2872 4th Batt Suffolks born Bildeston enlisted Ipswich dow 10-10-16; Harry Frederick 3357 4th Batt Suffolks enlisted Ipswich kia 17-4-16. Ralph.

Yes, these are the two family members. Do they hold a medal card or any other Army records that might exist. As Alfed dow was it possible for him to be sent home as he is buried in Bildeston and his brother was buried in France? Thankyou for your help so far

In 1911:

WELHAM, Harry Frederick 16 1895 Horseman On Farm Bildeston Suffolk

WELHAM, Alfred William 15 1896 Carter Bildeston Suffolk

Living with their parents, four brothers and two sisters at Market Place, Bildeston, Ipswich

MIC can be got at TNA (costs £2 per card) - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

Grant

There was a Brother John Thrower WELHAM, b 1900.

2 card on TNA, 1 for a John in the Suffolk (3344) regiment and 1 for a John T in the Notts & Derby (103383) regiment

Grant

Gadge. Sent you a PM. It looks like there are only MICs for these two lads, cannot trace any service records on Ancestry. Alfred who died of wounds would have been brought home after being obviously seriously wounded and buried over here, his death was registered in Lambeth Dec Qtr of 1916 (FreeBmd site). Ralph.

Gadge. Sent you a PM. It looks like there are only MICs for these two lads, cannot trace any service records on Ancestry. Alfred who died of wounds would have been brought home after being obviously seriously wounded and buried over here, his death was registered in Lambeth Dec Qtr of 1916 (FreeBmd site). Ralph.

Thankyou Ralph for your help. just a question If Alfred dow in October can it be the Lambeth one who you say was registered in Dec 1916? This has been a great help to my family history website.

wix.com/hadleigh/welham

Can I call on you again if needed?

There was a Brother John Thrower WELHAM, b 1900.

2 card on TNA, 1 for a John in the Suffolk (3344) regiment and 1 for a John T in the Notts & Derby (103383) regiment

Grant

Thankyou for the information.

Births, Deaths and Marriages are recorded by 1/4's

1st qtr = Jan, Feb, Mar

2nd qtr - Apr, May, Jun

3rd qtr = Jul, Aug, Sept

4th qtr = Oct, Nov, Dec

So as your man DOW in the October, his death will be recorded in the 4th qtr, or Dec qtr,

If he had died in the last days of the qtr (say end of 26th Dec 1916) it wiould normally be included in the next qtr (in this case 1st qtr 1917)

Grant

Gadge. Any further help, just ask, as Grant has explained October deaths are registered in Dec quarters as January ones are registered in March quarters etc. Ralph.

Gadge. Any further help, just ask, as Grant has explained October deaths are registered in Dec quarters as January ones are registered in March quarters etc. Ralph.

I am getting a bit cheeky now, but is there any way I can find the actual places the brothers died. The only info I can seem to gain is that Harry is the only Suffolk buried in Cambrin Cemetary so I am assuming that was a CCS and he was taken there with wounds and died. Thankyou for clearing up the year quarters, I had no idea. Any more info on other brothers and sisters besides John Thrower?

Gadge. Only have access to the 1901 Census, it shows the family as Frederick W (father) Louise C (mother) Harry Frederick, Alfred: Frederick Clarence birth registered Cosford June qtr 1898; John Thrower birth registered Dec qtr 1899 Cosford, the other members of the family must have been born after 1901. As to where the brothers died, you could check where the Suffolks were at the time when Harry was killed and the death certificate for Alfred may give his place of death. Regards. Ralph.

1911:

WELHAM, Frederick W Head Married 45 1866 Horseman On Farm born in Wattisham Suffolk

WELHAM, Louisa Caroline Wife Married 19 years 37 1874 born in Saxted Suddolk

WELHAM, Harry Frederick Son 16 1895 Horseman On Farm born in Bildeston Suffolk

WELHAM, Alfred William Son 15 1896 Carter Ditto

WELHAM, Frederick Clarence 12 1899 School Ditto

WELHAM, John Thrower Son 1900 School Ditto

WELHAM, Horace Africa Son 1902 Ditto

WELHAM, Mary Ann B Daughter 1904 Ditto

WELHAM, Bertha Adelaide Daughter 1907 Ditto

WELHAM, Sidney Harold Son (5 M) 1911 Ditto

Living at Market Place, Bildeston, Ipswich

Harry death certificate ref - Year 1916 / Vol I.63 / Page 395

Grant