Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

some help please

billy201

Hi there I am looking for some help. I am trying to trace private John McLelland, I know he

was a prisoner of war, where would I find out about his time as a prisoner, I know he has

the Victory Medal, British war Medal, and the 19/14 Star, and he landed in France, 13/9/1914

thanking you, all the very best, yours Inniskilling. :rolleyes:

I

Enlisted in the Cameron Highlanders Volunteers pre-war. From Maybole Ayrshire. Several pages of pension record on Ancestry UK.

1 Battalion Cameron Highlanders,moved to France on 14.8.1914 as Army Troops. 5 Sept 1914 became part of 1 Brigade of 1 Division. He must have been sent with a replacement batch landing in France on 13.9.1914.

Captured 11.11.1914 at Battle of Nonne Bosschen (1st Ypres), had GSW to right leg. Imprisoned at Gardelagen Germany from 12.11.1914 to 29.8.1918 when moved to Switzerland. Repatriated 6.12.1918. Discharged to Z Reserve 11.4.1919.

War Diary is WO95/1264 and is digital at Kew,so downloadable for 3.50.

Sotonmate

Hi there I am looking for some help. I am trying to trace private John McLelland, I know he

was a prisoner of war, where would I find out about his time as a prisoner, I know he has

the Victory Medal, British war Medal, and the 19/14 Star, and he landed in France, 13/9/1914

thanking you, all the very best, yours Inniskilling. :rolleyes:

There is a MIC for a Pte John Mclelland Cameron Highlanders with that entry date No 5846 also shows POW

regards

David

Hi there Sotonmate, thanks so mutch for that, all the very best, yours Inniskilling

hi there David, thanks a lot for that, all the very best , yours Inniskilling

Very interesting. I wonder could the same be done for me? Sgt Thomas Ollerton served in Boer war and ww1. He embarked 2nd Mar 1901 in 3rd batt Loyal North Lancs Returned 8th Feb 1902,transfered to reserve Renumbered 14185 in 8th batt LNL served in battles of Somme, Ypres, menin Road. Was captured at some time and iterned in German pow camp. I would really like ifo as to which camp or hospital Thomas was inas he was operated on and had his arm amputated there I have his medal card showing victory, British, and Star.Any info gratefully received. Vintom

Vinmatcal: You may be lucky, but if no response, it might be better to start your own thread.

Wait and see what happens and if no takers, try on your own.

With an amputation, there should also be a Silver War Badge record.

Seems as if you have some fairly detailed information, is there any clue as to which camps, any letters etc or other helpful info to bring your chap alive?

Vinmatcal: You may be lucky, but if no response, it might be better to start your own thread.

Wait and see what happens and if no takers, try on your own.

With an amputation, there should also be a Silver War Badge record.

Seems as if you have some fairly detailed information, is there any clue as to which camps, any letters etc or other helpful info to bring your chap alive?

Kevin, thanks for taking the time. Unfortunately I dont have any info about the items you suggest. Thats the info I`m trying to find . All I know is G/dad always said he would have died if the German doctor had`nt carried out the amputation!! From this I surmised he was in some kind of hospital either in a camp or not. I also assumed the last battle he was in was the Hellfire Corner one and maybe all the captured soldiers fiished up in the same prison camp. How do I start a thread please. Regards Vince Ok Kevin , think I`ve managed it!!