Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters Officer called Huskinson

Chris

Wondered if one of tthe Notts and Derby enthusiasts could help. I have seen a reference to a Capt Huskinson whilst researching the Lincolnshire Regiment in which it refers to Huskinson of the Notts and Derbys. Given the context of the source he is almost certainly a Territorial Officer. Can see two possibles on the MICs but was hoping someone might be able to tell me which one was in the Territorials (46th Division).

Any help appreciated

Chris

Hi Chris,

Lieut-Col C.J. Huskinson T.D. of the 1/8th battalion would seem to fit the bill.

He commanded the battalion when they concentrated at Newark on Friday August 7th 1914. He left the battalion on February 15th 1915 before the battalion left for France.

The proximity of Newark to Lincolnshire could also help the connection.

Richard

E A Huskinson starts off as Lieut but no Bn given, then to Infantry Brigade.

Same with Lieut Patrick but he goes to RAF

E A Huskinson is listed in 8th Bn prior to Gommecourt. So probably him you want.

Steve M

Thank you, as Steve points out i now have two possibles. Incidentally as both men you mention serve in the 1/8th SF; are they related to each other?

Cheers

Chris

Could be but there are 9 Huskinson in the N&D of which three are officers. Contact GWF member BRONNO as he might be able to help you.

S

QUOTE (steve morse @ Apr 14 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be but there are 9 Huskinson in the N&D of which three are officers. Contact GWF member BRONNO as he might be able to help you.
S

Huskinson Family

There was quite a family of Huskinson's but i think the one you are most likely after is Colonel Charles John Huskinson OBE, TD who commanded the 8th Battalion (TF) based at Newark in Nottinghamshire.
He later served as theCommandant at the Infantry Base Depot France 1915.
His son Patrick was awarded the MC and Bar in the Great War and gained much more importance during WW2.

The other is
Thomas W who served as a Captain in the 8th Battalion 1908 to 1910.

There was also Ernest Amphlett MC, 8th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters and Geoffrey N. B. who served in The Grenadier Guards and 8th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters after the Great War. There are others in the family but they served with other Battalions etc. BRONNO.

Hi,

Question for BRONNO, is the picture Col CJ Huskinson?

Many thanks,

Richard

QUOTE (somme visitor @ Apr 15 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Question for BRONNO, is the picture Col CJ Huskinson?
Many thanks,
Richard

His grave at Epperstone Village Church in Nottinghamshire.

BRONNO.

post-30693-1271357788.jpg

What on earth has been allowed to happen to that headstone?

Bronno

Many thanks. Sorry for delay in reply and thank you. Interesting info you give, certainly the picture i have seen shows a resemblance to Lt Col Huskinson but i will have to go back and have another look.

Cheers

Chris