Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Alfred Ernest Chambers 9328

Kookaburra

I have sighted the Medal Card online and it has date of entry 25-4-1915 and on the other side has Dis: 24-11-15. Does the Dis: mean discharge?

Hi

Yes it does

You will note the SWB entry- so he was wounded and it was bad enough to get him discharged

regards

Robert

I have sighted the Medal Card online and it has date of entry 25-4-1915 and on the other side has Dis: 24-11-15. Does the Dis: mean discharge?

Got the diaries between those dates if you need them

Glyn

Thanks for your reply Robert, I understand he lost an eye but don't know of any other injuries.

Glyn if you are able to fill in some of the action he must have seen during that spell it would be much appreciated.

He was my Aunts father-in-law and she remembers her late husband saying his father lost an eye during the war but apart from that she knows absolutely nothing else about him. The family here in New Zealand have a teapot with 1st Essex Reg. engraved on it with his name and number. I believe Alfred died before my uncle left Kent for Australia about 1960.

Cheers, Diane

Glyn if you are able to fill in some of the action he must have seen during that spell it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Diane

Diane

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the diaries with pleasure

Glyn

Enlisted early 1909. Qualified for 3rd Class Education certificate with 1st Essex in India 27th July 1912. Lost in the opening round of the Bantam Weight Boxing to Pte Rogers in September 1912 at Quetta. Landed Gallipoli 25.4.15. Reported wounded twice in Gallipoli, in the lists published in the Essex Chronicle on 21st May and 17th September 1915. First list is very early: 4609 Bloomfield in the same list was wounded 1st May 1915. The 17th September almost ceratinly indicates wounded on 6th August 1915.

Not much else to offer

Regards

Clive

Thank you very much Clive for taking the time to post this information. Sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum.

Cheers, Diane

Diane

All sent, let me know when you get them as quite a few files

Glyn