Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Anderson

Desmond7

despite all efforts have been unable to turn up

William Anderson Royal Irish Rifles on MICs

He will have the BWM and VM - joins November 1917 from Hillmount/Harperstown, Cullybackey, Co. Antrim.

Have all the other stuff but can't get number .. he joins with a guy called Ben Millar (KIA 1918) whose number was 18672. I believe both went to 12th Royal Irish Rifles.

May be William John Anderson?

Any better searchers?

Hi Des

There is an MIC showing on Ancestry for a William Anderson who had the service number 18/629 and was entitled to pair.

Should Millar's number be 18/627? If so this is very close.

Regards

Steve

Steve - you are spot on. See below

MILLAR, Benjamin, 18/627, Rifleman, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, was KIA on the 21st May 1918. Aged 24. He was the son of Samuel and Alice J. Millar, Harperstown, Cullybackey. He is buried New Irish Farm Cemetery, Belgium. He is commemorated in Cuningham Memorial Presbyterain Church, Cullybackey.

Now, my man joins with Millar and several other pals in November 15 :-

This week’s recruiting:- 18th Btn. RIR - Thomas Wilson, Duneaney; Hugh Johnson, William Anderson, James Duff, Ben Millar - all Hillmount, Cullybackey; John McAuley, Bridge Street; Robert John Kennedy, Broughdone; Thomas Scullion, Linenhall Street; David Jamison, Greenvale Street.

Also - William Anderson and Ben Millar sign Ulster Covenant on same day and on same page - I think the number you have worked out is brilliant.

By the way here's what Ben Millar found himself doing just eight months after he signed up!

He wrote to his father: "At 7.30 on the 1st July morning we were all standing in the trenches, waiting for the word of command. We got it, and in fine style we drove them back over the third and fourth line, but not without heavy losses - but the Hun’s losses were heaviest of all.

"We held their fire for an hour or two but we had to retire as we couldn’t get reinforcements up in time. It was then we got the cutting up. I got buried up twice; the second time I lost my senses, my nerves got ahead of me. Two chums pulled me out and brought me back to our own line."

I wonder if Wiliam Anderson, who is not among my list of 1st July wounded was one of those chums!!

Amazing what a journey one query from a guy who just walks in off the street takes you on.

Many many thanks.

Des

Now this is a bit scary (and thanks to Ulsterlad for input via PM)

Of the men who joined in the same week as William Anderson, the following lost their lives:-

FISHER, Hugh, 13907, Private, 1st Royal Scots, died of wounds on 30th September 1916. Aged 22, son of Sam and Margaret, Old Green, Kells. Enlisted Glasgow, buried Struma Military Cemetery, Greece. Commemorated Kells Presbyterian Church.

WILSON Thomas Rfn. 11th RIR. KIA 1/7/1916. Service no. 604. Aged 21, born Rasharkin. Son of John and Lena, Duneany, Glarryford. Comm. Thiepval Memorial and Killymurris Pres. Church.

KENNEDY Robert James Rfmn. 11th Btn RIRifles Died 1 July 1916. Service No. 630. Aged 28. Son of James and Jane Kennedy, Hillmount, Cullybackey. Comm. Thiepval Memorial and Cullybackey UF Church.

JAMISON David Rfn. 14th R I Rifles. KIA 16th August 1917. Service no. 657. Son of Robert Jamison of Greenvale Street. Named on Tyne Cot Memorial. Comm. Harryville Pres. Church.

MILLAR Benjamin Rfn. 12th R I Rifles. KIA 21st May, 1918. Service no. 18/627. Aged 24, son of Damuel and Alice J. Millar, Harperstown, Cullybackey.Buried New irish Farm Cem. Belgium. Comm. Cuningham Memorial Pres. Church.

Wounded

The father of Rfn. James Duff, Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division) who resides at Hillmount, Cullybackey, has received information that his son had been wounded in the right eye. Before joining the colours, Rfn. Duff was employed in the Hillmount Works and was a member of Hillmount UVF.

Mr. James Johnston, Hillmount, Cullybackey has received information that his son, Rfn. Hugh Johnston of the Royal Irish Rifles (Ulster Division) has been wounded in action. Before joining the colours he was an employee in the Hillmount Works and a member of the UVF and Dunminning LOL.

By the way, you have made a local man who has two sons heading to Afghanistan in September with 1 R. Irish very happy!

Well done all.

Des