Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Battalion, Tank Corps

bts1970

Can anyone help further with details for the day of Alberts recorded death or incidents around this date that may be the cause of his death

LEACH, Cpl Albert.

Enlisted: Manchester.

Age given: Born Purton.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: Son of Thomas H and Sarah Leach, of Purton, Swindon; husband of Mrs. R. Leach, of 14, Elmina Rd., Swindon. (Remembrance book states Wootton Bassett Road)

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

48657 Manchester Regiment.

305115 15th Battalion, Tank Corps.

British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Killed in action aged 31 on the 11th August 1918. He is buried in ADELAIDE CEMETERY, VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, Grave Reference: II. L. 11. (Somme, France). The Remembrance book states burial at White Chateau, Achy, France. White Chateau has been identified as being near the village of Cachy.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Purton War Memorial (Recorded as E.LEECH), Memorial Board in St Mary’s Church, name listed in the Memorial book in St Mary’s Church (Wife not recorded), SDGW listing.

Best regards

Bob lloyd

The date is odd as the War Diary states the Battalion was at Dog Wood between 11 - 13th August 1918. The days were "Spent in resting - cleaning, salving and repairing tanks ready for further use." Battalion was in action 8-9th August then on 10th tanks were brought back. One would have thought he might have been killed on 8th or 9th, or subsequently died of wounds.

Gwyn

Bob, reading the CWGC Cemetery information:-

....... EMBANKMENT CEMETERY, VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, which was used by the 4th Australian and 2nd Australian Divisions from the end of April to July, 1918. It contained the graves of 37 Australian soldiers and 1 British airman. It was a little West of Adelaide Cemetery, beside the railway and behind a Dressing Station.

WHITE CHATEAU CEMETERY, CACHY, between L'Abbe Wood and the railway, 500 metres West of Adelaide Cemetery. It was used from April to August, 1918, and it contained the graves of 23 soldiers from Australia, 9 from the United Kingdom and 2 from Canada. Plot I was filled, Plot II was made almost entirely with graves from United Kingdom units, and Plot III almost entirely with Australian.

it could therefore be that he was at the nearby Dressing Station and died there, perhaps after being wounded a day or so earlier. maybe an accident whilst moving around the tanks?

Sounds about right. SDGW:-

Name: Albert Leach

Birth Place: Purton, Wilts

Residence: Manchester

Death Date: 11 Aug 1918

Regiment: Tank Corps

Number: 305115

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Aldershot

Comments: Formerly 48657, Manchester Regiment.

Gwyn, Kevin, Verrico

Many thanks for the intrest, i had wondered whether we were looking at DOW rather than KIA but as yet no extra details to go either way. I have been contacted over the last couple of days by a relative seeking more info on this lad & family tale (big intake off breath, i know from personal experiance that they can be less than reliable) says......................

"My great uncle Albert Leech is remembered on the war memorial (Purton), although he lived in Swindon, and was married with children by the time he died, killed by his own very new and unstable tank apparently"

Leans more towards DOW, wonder if there is an erntry in the diary that would back this up, i assume that such an accident (if not mentioning name) would find an entry in the pages?

Best regards to all

Bob

For those not in the know the Purton magazine is the local Church mag, i have had so little help from the village with regards research help it been annoying to say the least (I am not a villager myself but have connection through my wife). I am not surprised this info was there, even less surprised if some villagers knew about it, not being a church goer i don`t subscribe to the mag but i have made over 10 appeals within its pages before now!

The person named is also the relative who recently e-mailed me wanting a copy of my booklet. They live local however after....................

Local chats with the village RBL

radio chat appeals

Swindon advertiser appeals

Local assistance sought from the Historical society

...... and many more appeals localy over 3 years

someone comes out of the woodwork with some information, thats why we love researching i suppose, 471 names to cover........onwards

Bob