Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Lincolnshire Regiment.

susan kitchen

Can someone please tell me where the 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment was in May 1916.

Thanks

Susan.

Susan,

They were part of 21st Division, 62nd brigade and were heavily involved in preparation for the coming offensive around Fricourt on the 1st July 1916.

Do you have a specific question or query? I have the war dairy and could do a look up.

They would have been in and out of the line in May, for instance they were in brigade reserve on the 1st May around Meaulte.

Regards

Arm

The month's movements in brief...

Meulte

La Neuville

Escardonneuse Wood

Meulte

Fricourt vicinity (Tambour)

Meulte

Thanks both for your replies. I have a number of relatives who were in the War. For the ones who didn't survive i like to find out where they were ( if possible ) when they died. This particular relative was Pte 15434 Alfred Walter Smith who died on 25 May 1916. He is buried at Dartmoor Cemetary, Becordell-Becourt.

Thanks for the help.

Susan.

Was he in C Company? Germans shelled the Tambour positions (7.7cm) between 2am-2,30am causing casualties. Then later at night the Machine guns inflicted casualties The days 25th leaving 2 killed and 13 wounded, according to the war diary.

Regards

Arm

I can't find anything that say's what company he was in. I have been lucky with other people in finding sometimes 20 and 30 pages of records for them but, unfortunately with Alfred all i could find was his medal roll card.

Some you win, some you lose. But i do appreciate all your help. Thanks Again

Susan.

It would seem that Alfred served with the 1st Battalion only.

Looking to see if i can find anything else on him.

Dick

The nearest date/service number I can see is for No.15467 Pte. Fred Fisher 6th Lincs,. of Spalding, who enlisted on the 20th February, 1915.

This gives us an approximate date for Alf Smith joining.

Dick

I can't find anything that say's what company he was in.

Shame really. The way the war diary is written, it is debatable if the two killed were from the morning or late afternoon, or if all the casualties were from C Company.

Regards

Arm

You all seem to have gone to so much trouble. Many thanks.

Alf Smith was born in Walsoken Norfolk, a stones throw from Wisbech Cambridgeshire. His father Divers Smith was very well known and respected in both places. In fact i have photo's of when Alf's father died in 1933 and thousands gathered to line the route. The funeral was attended by local digniitaries and the report which appeared in a local paper covers an A4 Page. So it's occured to me( clutching at straws ) that as Alfs father was so well known perhaps there is something about Alf in the local paper of the time. So i'll look into that. In the meantime. Thanks All.

Susan

The nearest date/service number I can see is for No.15467 Pte. Fred Fisher 6th Lincs,. of Spalding, who enlisted on the 20th February, 1915.

This gives us an approximate date for Alf Smith joining.

Dick

Thanks Dick for the information. Just to let you know i've sent you a message in reply to your E-mail.

Susan

Walter landed in France 22 Jun 1915.

And as Dick states would have enlisted sometime in Feb 1915, for example 15341 Frank Benstead enlisted 19 Feb 1915.

Jim

Walter landed in France 22 Jun 1915.

And as Dick states would have enlisted sometime in Feb 1915, for example 15341 Frank Benstead enlisted 19 Feb 1915.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm aways eager for any information and all information helps.

Susan