Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Kerry, KRRC?

basiloxford

Hello,

I'm researching a Pte Frederick Kerry, who according to the CWGC and SDGW was killed in action on the 18th of September 1918,

whilst serving with the 12 Bn London Regiment, (The Rangers) with a service no of 485112.

My problem is that according to his service records, unless my eyes deceive me, he was posted to the 2nd KRRC two days before he

was killed.

Thoughts anyone?

post-24511-1271138581.jpg

apologies if the picture is too large,

Barry.

I agree with your reading.

From SDGW & Kerry's MIC, he was originally 5051, 3rd/4th Ox & Bucks L.I., which was an OBLI territorial third line Reserve battalion. He attested on 31 May 1915.

From deciphering the Casualty Form in his Service Record, he appears to have first arrived in France at 55 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen on 30 July 1916, but on 15 Sep 1916 was admitted to No 12 General Hospital with a sprained left ankle sustained during Bayonet & Obstacle Drill at the IBD Training Ground at Rouen. His Unit is now listed as 1st/4th OBLI. He's recorded as Rejoining Unit in the Field on 01 Oct 1916.

1st/4th OBLI were in 145 Brigade in 48th Division

Further spells in hospital in the Base areas followed in 1916 and early 1917, rejoining his unit in the Field on 27 Mar 1917(?).

He was allocated new SN of 201788 (or possibly 205788) under the TF re-numbering on 01 Mar 1917.

On 22 Oct 1917, he is admitted to 3rd Southern General Hospital in Oxford while on a Short Leave with a problem with his thumb (ICT - inflamed carpel tunnel??), which is described as Slight and likely to be of 10 days probably duration. However on 22 Oct 1917 he's "Struck Off the Strength" as Unfit to Return, presumably to cover his non-return from Leave.

Then in early 1918 he appears to have had some disciplinary problems leading to deduction of Pay and detention and involving the civil Police. It's too faint to make out the details, but place is Ballyvonare, County Cork, which was a Command Depot which had a Convalescent facility, but presumably also had a role in the Irish Unrest post Easter 1916.

He appears to have been at Ballyvonare until discharged [Edit: from hospital, not the Forces] on ?30 Aug 1918.

On 04 Sep 1918 he is pronounced A1 by the Medical Officer of 4th (Reserve) OBLI, which presumably led to his being sent Overseas for his second stint.

Your image above shows he arrived at the "B" Infantry Base Depot at Le Havre on 07 Sep 1918 and was immediately transferred to The Rangers and immediately posted to 2/KRRC.

He joined 2/KRRC in the Field on 16 Sep 1918 and was killed two days later :poppy: .

18 Sep 1918 was the Attack on Berthaucourt. 23 ORs from 2/KRRC died that day. Modern Bertaucourt is part of the village of Pontru about 4 miles NW of St Quentin.

Details of 2/KRRC in September 1918 can be found here:

2nd Bn. KRRC September 1918

2/KRRC were in 2 Brigade of 1st Division.

By 1918, The Rangers had been re-affiliated to the KRRC. The KRRC had no TF battalions, only these London Regiment affiliated battalions, so presumably Kerry had to stay on the Establishment of a TF unit, hence The Rangers. Clearly he was intended to re-inforce 2/KRRC all along though.

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

I.C.T. = Inflammation of Connective Tissue

Steve.

Thanks for that Mark,

Your certainly a lot better at deciphering the service records than myself, i always seem to struggle with much of the

info contained on the burnt service records. You've certainly added to my info, and the info on the 2nd KRRC was very

Welcome.

Thanks Steve, i wasn't sure what ITC meant.

Regards,

Barry.