Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Awards by Gen Robert Nivelle 17/2/1917

dodgerr

Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to shed a little light on an event of 17th Feb 1917 for me. The 4th Army Headquarters A and Q branch war diary contains an Addendum Page with the following entry on it.

[/font]

"Querrieu, 17/2/1917 General Nivelle, Commander in chief of the French Army, visited Fourth Army Headquarters and decorated a number of British officers."

One of these Officers was my G. Grandfather Lt E. Paul, 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry who received the Croix de Guerre(1st SLI war diary). I don't know what for. Does anyone know who any of the others were or any information about this event?

Any info would be gratefully received. Heres hoping!

Dodger

Hi Dodger

Here is the LG for his C de G

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/300...upplements/4157

There are 10 pages of Foreign awards in this gazette.

It is interesting that Nivelle handed out the medals on 17 Feb 17 yet the LG date is 1 May 17.

I notice your G Grandfather was MC as well, do you have the citation & date for the action, as sometimes they can be for the same incident.

If you find out the names of the others so awarded, could you please let me know so I can add info to my database.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the response. I had already found the LG entry. Thanks anyway.

I have also written to the French Military Archives at Pau. They said that after 90 years the records of citations are returned to the Department from which the soldier originated and therefore they couldnt help me. I am not sure what that means for records of a British soldier!

Edgars MC was for the 6th July 1915. He also has a DCM for 1st July 1916.The 17 Feb 1917 is quite some time away from these so I would think it was not for the same action. I may be wrong! I can send you the citations if your interested.

Ill let you know if I ever find out what the CdeG was for.

Thanks again

Rog

Hi Dodger

Here is the LG for his C de G

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/300...upplements/4157

There are 10 pages of Foreign awards in this gazette.

It is interesting that Nivelle handed out the medals on 17 Feb 17 yet the LG date is 1 May 17.

I notice your G Grandfather was MC as well, do you have the citation & date for the action, as sometimes they can be for the same incident.

If you find out the names of the others so awarded, could you please let me know so I can add info to my database.

Peter