Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on Derbyshire Yeomanry please!

I have recently discovered that my Great Grandfather was in the Derbyshire Yeomanry from 1909 until 1916, I believe he was stationed in Alexandria and saw action in Gallipoli.

My Great Grandfathers name was George E Leech, his regimental number was 1268, he was born and resided in Tideswell, Derbyshire.

I would be grateful for any information and if anybody has any photographs they would be much appreciated, George remarried in 1952 and died in 1954, his wife moved away after his death taking his Army photographs and documents with her, she then lost touch with the family. :(

Hi Julie - welcome to the Forum. You'll find a wealth of expertise on here.

From what you say, I take it you already have his MIC and surviving service papers, either from Ancestry or the National Archives?

Louise

Hi Julie - welcome to the Forum. You'll find a wealth of expertise on here.

From what you say, I take it you already have his MIC and surviving service papers, either from Ancestry or the National Archives?

Louise

Hi Louise,

Thanks for the welcome, yes I have got some copies of papers from Ancestry but don't yet have his MIC. I'm quite new to all this to be honest and don't really know where to start!

Juile

His MIC's also on Ancestry, Julie. Search - Military - British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards 1914-1920.

Name: George Leech

Regiment or Corps: Derby Yeomanry

Regimental Number: 1268

Hope this link works for you: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...85&recoff=2

If not, just putting his surname and regimental number in will bring it up - I didn't even tick the boxes.

Louise

His MIC's also on Ancestry, Julie. Search - Military - British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards 1914-1920.

Name: George Leech

Regiment or Corps: Derby Yeomanry

Regimental Number: 1268

Hope this link works for you: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...85&recoff=2

If not, just putting his surname and regimental number in will bring it up - I didn't even tick the boxes.

Louise

Thank you so much Louise, the link worked and I've now got a copy of his MIC too!

This link gives you a bit of background on the unit - looks like your man was in 1st Battalion

Not the same battalion Julie, but as you asked for information in slightly general terms these photos are the 2/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry on home defence duties in Kent in 1916 - the 2/1st had lost their horses to supply the troops in the middle east I believe, but got bicycles instead. I have them as one of my ancestors was with them until he was transferred to Sherwood Forresters. The city museum in Derby I believe has a very small collection of archive material but said it wasn't extensive when I asked. Member Colinalsbury has interests in the Derbyshire Yeomanry so maybe he'll pick up on this thread.

derbyShireYeomanry1.jpg

derbyShireYeomanry2.jpg77

Thanks for that Andy, what super photographs! I really don't know much at all about the Derbyshire Yeomanry so appreciate your information.

I've tried to send Colinalsbury a PM but the website won't let me!

Julie

Sorry to be slow picking up on this thread - I've been away briefly - Andy kindly alerted me to the thread.

Sadly there's not a huge amount of Derbyshire Yeomanry info around - I am trying to collate as much as I can and have a fair list of men collated from MIC's etc.

Looks like George Leech enlisted quite early - William Liner (1249) enlisted on 26 Jan 1909 and Arthur Bramwell (1401) enlisted on 29 Aug 1910 - my own grandfather [Charles E Alsbury 2200] lied about his age to enlist at the end of 1914.

Tried sending response as personal message and got the following:

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger.

This personal message has not been sent"