Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chemin Des Dames

andigger

Pals,

Hoping someone can help me get started... or at least get to the next step. I am helping a friend reseach her grandmother who volunteered behind the French lines from 1916 through 1919. She was primarily in Briane, but also mentioned Chavonne, Ostel, Vailly, Brenelle, and a few of the other towns/villages in the area. While she was there she mentions a number of the officers who were in the Sixth French Army. I do know she was not with the Red Cross or Salvation Army.

What I am trying to do is look into life behind the lines in this area. Trying to get a sense of what web sites, books, other sources I can go to to see what she was doing and what it was like.

All help is appreciated. Andy

Andy,

Are you conversant with the French langauge?

I ask because there are some volumes in French which may well help. I could perhaps identify one or two, but someone like Christina Holstein (see the members list) may be able to point you in the direction of further sources.

Martin

Thanks!

Unfortunately I am not fluent in French. I know enough to pick apart a web site (with a few lucky guesses too). I'll also try to contact Christina, and checking out the web site now.

Andy

Andy,

The book " Paths & Glory " (in english) written by Anthony Clayton has as subject the French Army in the period 1914-18. It mentions also the Sixth French Army and The Chemin des Dames (Oise).

According to this book Anthony Clayton was a millitary historian and was a lecturer at Sandhurst. He is the author of some publications about French military history. I wonder if he published about the daily life behind the lines.

Gilbert Deraedt

The website 'Histoforums' is certainly a good place to post but whether it will turn up anything in English is another question. There has been lots of stuff published in the last few years that covers life in the towns and villages affected by the war - it's usually low-budget publications by local historians or historical associations. Nothing comes to mind, I'm afraid, because it's not my area but a question on Histoforums - where you can post in English - will probably bring some results.

Christina