Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Kingsley Hall, help needed with war record please

mari

Hi,

I requested help with my research on Alfred Kingsley Hall on the "War in the air" section, and had a wonderul response, I can't believe how much time and effort people on here are willing to give, I am so grateful! One member suggested that I ask for more help on this board, so as not to waste anyone's time which would be the best way of doing this..should I post all of the information I already have been given, or is it easier for you to look at the other posts? I have now got Alfred's war records, which I downloaded from the National Archives, I'm finding it quite difficult to read though, is there any way I could post it on here please?

Sorry to be such a pain! Many thanks.

I don't see why you couldn't post the images on here as they are what you paid for and downloaded yourself. You didn't ask anybody else to get them for you via this site.

As for the size, see if you can get a logon into photo bucket, resize the images and upload them onto the site. Someone here will give it a crack to try and decipher the writing.

Cheers Andy. :poppy:

Hi

Sometimes it is difficult to decipher text on documents however, when simlar documents have been seen before or certain words have been used in a certain context it does tend to make it easier. I spend quite a lot of time transcribing regimental diaries and this situation crops up quite a bit.

So I would say "Give it a go?" Who knows you may find the information you need.

Good luck

Martin

Hi

Sometimes it is difficult to decipher text on documents however, when simlar documents have been seen before or certain words have been used in a certain context it does tend to make it easier. I spend quite a lot of time transcribing regimental diaries and this situation crops up quite a bit.

So I would say "Give it a go?" Who knows you may find the information you need.

Good luck

Martin

Hi everyone, thanks for the input, I've tried to attach the re sized doccuments, but it will only allow me to upload one, there are four pages, so I'll have to attach the others to individual posts. Here's the first page, more to follow, hopefully! I just hope you'll be able to see them, thank you all once again.

post-33582-1271079213.jpg

Hi everyone, thanks for the input, I've tried to attach the re sized doccuments, but it will only allow me to upload one, there are four pages, so I'll have to attach the others to individual posts. Here's the first page, more to follow, hopefully! I just hope you'll be able to see them, thank you all once again.

Page 2 of Alfred Kingsley Hall records attached.

Page 2 of Alfred Kingsley Hall records attached.

Page 3

post-33582-1271079467.jpg

post-33582-1271079572.jpg

• Admin

Hi do you have a specific question about these records? The scans are quite difficult to read and it might be helpful if you could crop them and enhance the colour before posting. There is a limit of 100kb on attachments. He appears to have been sent overseas shortly after the outbreak of hostilities but was not a pre war regular. He probably had special skills and served in a field company (see link below) before transferring to the RAF the service number 1007 may give a clue and suggests he could have been a pre-war territorial soldier.

It seems a distinguished career as he looks like he was made an OBE (or its contemporary equivalent) in 1919, the London Gazette may give more information.

I wonder what happened to him after the War as there was a great deal of bitterness in the number of officers promoted from the ranks as they did not receive any initial help, as 'officers' were expected to have independent means.

If you haven't already done so you might take look at the Long Long Trail http://www.1914-1918.net/cre.htm for engineers, and then check out the links on the left hand panel.

Ken

Two entries found in London Gazette:

Suppl. 17/5/1916, p. 4939: 2nd Corporal AKH from Royal Engineers, TF to be temp 2nd Lieut for duty with RFC.

New Year Honours list 1/1/19, p. 93: Major (A/Lieut.Col) AKH among OBEs, Military Division.

D