Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify Patch

Adam Llewellyn

Good Day All,

Would anybody be able to help with identification on the Tartan patches please?

DSC01134-1.jpg

Best Regards. Llew.

The patches came with a Trio for 22163 Gnr. Alexander Fulton RFA, could someone please comfirm that I'm going in the right direction in thinking that they are some sort of identification flash?

Best Regards. Llew.

The only Battalion that I can find who possably wore this flash is the 7th Battn Cameron Highlanders. A 2 1/2" tartan Cameron square.

Someone else might be able to help.

Thanks John, is it possible that Alexander could have been linked to the Highlanders with him being a artillery man?

Would a Gunner in the RFA have had 3 stripes? Could the stripes and patches just be a Red Herring and have nothing to do with Alexander, just thinking out load.

Best Regards. Llew

Good Day All,

I'm sorry to be a pain with this, but after looking at Grumpy's guide to rank badges, would anyone like to comment on whether these stripes are from the Great War period?

Regards. Llew.

Hello,

I don't think the tartan patches are Cameron tartan. They are Royal Stewart. I have seen photo's of Artillery men of the 15th Scottish Division who wore these patches at the tops of their sleeves. They wore them on there points, like diamonds. As a sergeant, he would have worn gun badges above the stripes.

I think the stripes do date from the great war period. I have heard that that there were still bundles of these being issued until the 1960's, which were in WW1 dated boxes. They could also be worn on the cuff as Good Conduct Stripes, so he may not have been a Sergeant.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello Stewart,

Thanks for the reply, I've just got back from a local gent who has been able to show me photos of Artillery Sergeants with the 3 stripes and the gun badge above. As you can see from the photo below, which shows the complete collection, the gun badges are on the left, I was assuming that these were some sort of collar badge, but now know what they were for. Is there anything that can be deciphered from Alexanders service number? I'm hoping to be able to get him down to a battery and then get some idea on his service history. If this is not possible would the medal rolls give me more information?

DSC01130.jpg

Best Regards. Llew.

Hello Llew,

I will see if I can find the Battery numbers for Royal Field Artillery batteries in the 15th Scottish Division. However if you look at the Long, Long Trail website {LLT on the blue bar at top left of this forum page} you should find details on the Division and it's makeup etc.

The medal roll entry may give battery details. I have seen some Artillery ones that give the battery, and some which don't. Also his date of entry into a theatre of war may tie him down to a battery.

Have you tried a search on Ancestry to see if his papers have survived?

Happy hunting,

Stewart

Hello Stewart,

There is no sign of Alexanders papers on Ancestry unfortunately, but i have downloaded his MIC which shows the date of entry as 17.07.1915.

The LLT shows the division as landing in France between 7-13 July 1915 and also list the divisional artillery, so it gives me something else to go at.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards. Llew.

Three stripes without the gun above would have indicated a Lance Sergeant. So, no need to be too worried that teh collection isn't complete.

Phil

In the picture you have two brass gun badges one facing left and one facing right these would go above the two chevrons and don't forget the guns would be facing the front when worn.

John

Phil & John,

Thanks for the information it is appreciated and it will aid me in the mounting process.

Regards. Llew.

• 1 year later...

Later in the war, the highland units (TF at least) wore tartan patches representing their home county under their regimental badge. In the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA (TF), they wore them on their sun helmets under the RA gun. The Bute Mountain Battery wore the Stewart HuntingTartan, while the Argyll Mountain Battery wore the Campbell of Argyll tartan and theRoss & Cromarty Mountain Battery wore the Mackenzie of Seaforth tartan. Those assigned to the Headquarters of the 4thHighland Mountain Brigade wore the Royal Stewart tartan. I think you will find that the tartan is related to the unit with which he served. As usual, I stand ready to be corrected!

Mike Morrison