Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Frederick Jeffrey, 5th Seaforths

gnr.ktrha

Hello GWF Pals,

Can anyone tell me the 'local' Newspaper for Wimbledon, for the Great War period? Also, which libraries hold it? Is there a roll of honour for this area.

I have found this chaps name on the All Saints' church war memorial.

SDGW states he enlisted in London, but was born in Wimbledon. His number was 786 [very low number] and he was killed with the 5th Seaforth's on the 28th July 1916, on the Somme. I have the battalion history which gives some brief details of what they were up to during this time.

I don't yet know when he went to France, but would love to know.

The CWGC does not give any additional information.

In part 13 of the National Roll of the Great War, there is an 'A Jeffrey' listed, is this the same man?

Any help, advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

That was very quick! Thanks for taking the trouble to look that up. That has answered a big question for me. I will be getting a copy of his MIC and 1901 census entry when I am at work on Tuesday.

Many thanks,

Stewart

Hello HW,

Thanks for the information. I never knew that. The battalion must have been very understrength when it arrived in Bedford if they were issuing numbers in the 700's [that's if they started numbering from 1 in 1908]

Do you know how they fitted into the battalion, did they form their own company etc?

Regards,

Stewart

There is a Wimbledon Guardian newspaper.

I recommend you contact Wimbledon Library

Wimbledon Library. Key contact: Sylvana Marchant Perdoni

35 Wimbledon Hill Road, Wimbledon SW19 7NB.

Telephone General enquiries: 020 8274 5757; Reference: 020 8274 5758; Fax: 020 8944 6804; Email: wimbledon.library@merton.gov.uk

and ask for the Local History section. The Wimbledon War Memorial in Stag Lane has 114 Names, but is currently badly weathered so The Wimbledon Society have the Roll of Honour of these 114 Names.... I couldn't find the List, so you'll have to ask!

Hello KevinW4,

Thank you very much for the contact details and information. I will send them a little email to see if they can help. It would be great if they can turn something up. Do you know if local soldiers get much of a write up in the newspapers? Do many have photographs?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Stewart, I don't know is the simple answer. It depends on what the family had available for the newspaper, and possibly the number of casualties.

On what I have seen, the papers did their best to obtain photos, but not every family had them.

What I do know is that the local War Memorial has 114 Names, and that they are badly eroded, so the Local History igroup was providing the Names from its records... Hopefully the Library can advise the current situation!

Edit: Using Geoff, I've come up with 600 plus with Wimbledon links!!

No AF Jeffrey comes up BUT

Name: JEFFERY, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/11/1916

Service No: 21935

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Jeffery, of 101, Hartfield Rd., Wimbledon, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 9.

Cemetery: LE FERMONT MILITARY CEMETERY, RIVIERE

It's a different spelling, maybe unrelated, but have to show in case it helps your jigsaw!!

(Off thread but can't resist - see you mention your Pipe Band- I was in the Hockley RBL Pipe Band some years ago- enjoy!)

Stewart if you go to www.archive.org you can get the war diaries for the 5th Seaforth Highlanders That might turn up something best regards Anders

Hello KevinW4,

I wonder if he is related. thanks for the info on the newspaper. It sounds like there may be a good chance that there will be some information about him. Some of the local papers here are so small that they very rarely published photographs.

What did you play in the band? I have not been doing too much with my band, I just have not had the time recently.

Anders,

Thanks for the link to the website. I have a copy of the book about the 5th Seaforths, but it was great to see the site and other books of interested. I am sure I will be spending too much time on the site. It's great to have access to so many rare books.

Cheers chaps,

Stewart

Stewart,

I believe that the Highland Division lost a lot of men at Bedford to measles. The photograph shows London men of C Company who may have enlisted to make up the numbers or perhaps were enticed by the thought of wearing Highland uniform.

post-6480-1271184588.jpg

Hello HW,

What a fantastic photograph. I wonder if this was the company they were all posted to? There is only a very brief mention in the Regimental history to the number being made up by men from London.

Have you managed to ID any of the men?

All the best,

Stewart

Judging by the sitting posture of a couple of men behind the senior officer, they are NOT used to sitting decorously whilst wearing a kilt!!!

Somewhat reminiscent of the alleged photo shopped shot of the Queen with the C O of a Scottish Regiment at the handover of Hong Kong!!

Takes a bit of practice to remember about the draught!!

Two of the men might be 3125-240577 Pte Charles Richard Stewart Coppack later 2nd Lieutenant, 24th battalion Royal Fusiliers who DoW 24-3-1918 and 3139 L/Cpl Vernon George Weedon, 1/5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, who was KiA 7-5-1916. I have individual photographs of both these men.

Hello HW,

It's good that you know the names of a couple of chaps on your photograph. I am a bit surprised at how high there TF numbers are, given that my chap has a number in the 700's. Any idea when your chaps enlisted?

Regards,

Stewart