Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

102nd, 103rd, 104th Field ambulances, 34th Division

high wood

I am trying to identify the service number for Pte Walter Cooper RAMC, who lived at Mulso Road, Finedon, Northamptonshire.

I have narrowed it down to either 65582 or 72298. Does anyone know if either of these numbers fit into the series allocated to the 102nd, 103rd or 104th Field Ambulances?

post-6480-1271001064.jpg

He is certainly sporting a 34 Division patch on his soldier, if it's any guide men around about my Grandfathers service number seem to have been in the 101st and 102nd FA, he was 64457.

I think this chap is sporting too many service stripes for it to be 72298, he didn't go overseas until 16th March,1916 when he joined 134 FA.

And he resided Wellinborough.

Hope this assists

John

From the Finedon Absent Voters List:

post-6536-1271017946.jpg

Steve.

Pretty conclusive!

Pretty conclusive!

Steve,

many thanks for the AVL page. It is nice to have my hunches confirmed so conclusively. Absolutely no doubt about the correct attribution of the photograph.

Simon.

Given his length of service overseas, Walter Cooper must have seen some dreadful sights. Somme ... Arras ... Langemarck ... Somme again ... Lys ... Soissonais ... Flanders. The division only went to France in early 1916 so his four chevrons must represent 16-17-18-19.

Given his length of service overseas, Walter Cooper must have seen some dreadful sights. Somme ... Arras ... Langemarck ... Somme again ... Lys ... Soissonais ... Flanders. The division only went to France in early 1916 so his four chevrons must represent 16-17-18-19.

Agreed, my Grandfather who was 19, arrived in France 4th January,1916, my Grandmother said the memories of being with Macrae's Battalion (16th Royal Scots) on the opening day of the Somme, and at Passchendale when several of his comrades were killed by a shell when carrying a casualty, he was the only survivor, haunted him for the rest of his days. They are buried in the Cement House Cemetery.

Coincidentally one of the worst things he saw, happened 93 years ago today,12th April,1917 he was watching on the Point de Jour Ridge when the attack of the 9th (Scottish Division) went in on the Chemical Works at Rouex in appalling weather, the 34th Division Men had a grandstand view.

Excellent photograph by the way.

John

Thought that some of the contributers to this thread may find these images of interest.

post-1012-1271074880.jpg

Three group shots of men from 103 Field Ambulance. Bottom one being March 1916

Another 103rd Field Ambulance picture. This time Private 65483 Richard Payne, who sadly died of his wounds on 14th April 1918, nearly 92 years to the day.

post-1012-1271075037.jpg

What a super picture. A young fellow, everything ahead of him, and all he got was a name on the Ploegsteert Memorial. What tragedy.

Simon,

It might be worth dropping a line to the Finedon History Society, who run a small museum. I know Gary there was looking into WW1 connections.

Contact details can be found here