Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Andrew Cummins RAMC no. 762

Guest ARLEWIS

I am researching my Grandfather's war record but unfortunately his records were one of the many destroyed in the Blitz.

He was originally from Dublin and his medal card shows that he joined on 17 August 1914 was in the 13th Field Ambulance of the RAMC which I believe was raised mainly with men from Dublin.

His medal card shows he was awarded the Victory & British medals which have the reference RMC/101 B 69 page 5245 and also the 14 star which has the reference RAMC/3 and page 4. At the very top of the card above rank seems to have been written something like "A Sgt" which I guess could mean acting Sergeant but it seems a bit of a leap from his actual rank which is shown as "Pte"".

My only other clue is that I distinctly remember my mother saying that he was with the army in what was then British East Africa which I presume was for a short period after the war. He contracted malaria there and used to suffer from recurrent attacks upon his return to London. I wonder if there might be some army medical records which were kept separately from the service records which were destroyed.

Any suggestions/information gratefully received.

arl

Welcome to the Forum !

13 Field Ambulance was part of 5 Division which landed in France in August 1914. Here is a page from the LLT at top left of this page,where you can find a lot of material to help you understand the complexities of the War:

http://www.1914-1918.net/5div.htm

There are War Diaries at the National Archives too:

WO95/1540 (France) from Aug 1914 to Nov 1917 and then Apr 1918 to May 1919.

WO95/4215 (Italy) from Dec 1917 to Mar 1918,

Sotonmate

arl

Welcome to the Forum !

13 Field Ambulance was part of 5 Division which landed in France in August 1914. Here is a page from the LLT at top left of this page,where you can find a lot of material to help you understand the complexities of the War:

http://www.1914-1918.net/5div.htm

There are War Diaries at the National Archives too:

WO95/1540 (France) from Aug 1914 to Nov 1917 and then Apr 1918 to May 1919.

WO95/4215 (Italy) from Dec 1917 to Mar 1918,

Sotonmate