Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Alexander Hatherwick Taylor RE (T) Signaller 51st Highland Di

rgalley

I'm trying to find out more about Cpl Alexander Hatherwick Taylor and the reason for him receiving a Gallantry on Active Service Citation (copy attached) which covers the period of the Highland Division's involvement at High Wood. He was a divisional signaller and the citation is signed by Harper himself. Can anyone shed any more light on the reason why Alexander received this citation? I presume it did not relate to one act of gallantry, but for sustained courage during the Division's time in the line?

He is the subject of a posting I left a couple of days ago in 'Units and Formations', to which I received very helpful advice regarding RE Signals Co. etc.

post-13484-1270934580.jpg

Whilst this does not answer your question directly,it may assist.From the History of the 8th Royal Scots.(Pioneer Battalion to the 51st(Highland)Division).

Battle of the Somme.

"It reached Mametz Wood on the early morning of the 21st,and bivouaced.The wood was shelled continually.and the shelling all over the front was very heavy.From noon 22nd to noon 23rd,the Battalion had over 100 casualties.(Battalion) Work continued at high pressure till the 5th August.The enemy had amassed a tremendous amount of artillery on the "High Wood" Sector.The billets of the Battalion were continually shelled,and the only approach to the line was up "Happy Valley".The enemy took special delight in shelling this valley,and,in addition,had his barrage lines across it.Time and again,but for judicious and skilful handling of the troops,The Battalion might have been completely wiped out.While at work,the Battalion was subjected to very heavy shell and machine-gun fire every night,and that the work was successfully done tells the tale of magnificent endurance and courage displayed by all ranks.Never before,and probably not afterwards,had the Battalion been called upon to endure such a nerve-racking and trying time as that in which it was subjected during its fifteen days engagement in the first Battle of the Somme."

George