Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rossington War Memorial - Last 3 Names

judecowie@mac.com

Hi All

After a number of years - I am down to the last 3 names for WW1 - but despite best efforts they appear elusive - I am hoping that someone can help identify these three men.

G Rush

S Stones

P Taylor

I have tried on the Forum before - but no joy (as yet) Like a lot of War Memorials - Rossington only shows an initial and surname - no dates, no ranks etc

Any help will be much appreciated

John

John,

None of the names appear in the 1901 or the 1911 census under Rossington, nor in SDGW

Grant

Rush could be George Rush, 37150, Lancashire Fusiliers. kia 12/10/1916.

Stones gives 2 Sidneys and 1 Shepherd Stones in the area

116 P Taylors died in 14 -18 :(

Aye

Malcolm

John,

None of the names appear in the 1901 or the 1911 census under Rossington, nor in SDGW

Grant

Hi Grant

I thought it was me - and I had missed them - but I am very grateful that it isn't - I know that Rossington is/was a mining community and miners from all over the country came looking for work - I now believe that these guys were "Incomers" from elsewhere in the country - sttled here , joined up and died - hence they are on the War Memorial but how to trace them is not going to be easy.

Thanks and Regards

John

John:

Have you absolutely ruled out

Name: STONES, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 14/07/1916

Service No: 15050

Additional information: Son of Robert and Sarah Stones, of Harwell, Bawtry, Doncaster.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. D. 117.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Bawtry is close, so he could have had some tie to Rossington, or been known locally as "Stan" or similar, irrespective of his correct Christened Name

John,

Has Rossington got a working mans club that dates back to pre WW1 ?

Some of mine were miners in Wales, found details of them in the records of the local conservative club ? and a nice embroided piece about her lost son by my GGMum on the wall of the bar.

Grant

John:

Have you absolutely ruled out

Name: STONES, ALFRED

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 14/07/1916

Service No: 15050

Additional information: Son of Robert and Sarah Stones, of Harwell, Bawtry, Doncaster.

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. D. 117.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Bawtry is close, so he could have had some tie to Rossington, or been known locally as "Stan" or similar, irrespective of his correct Christened Name

Thanks Kevin

Harwell is between Scaftworth and Everton - very close to Rossington - so yes I believe you are right - I will investigate further with the local History Group - but this is a significant step in the right direction - Much appreciated

John

Clutching a bit here, but as it was a mining area, can any link locally be found for:-

Name: TAYLOR, PHILIP GUSTAVE ADOLPHE

Initials: P G A

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 171st Coy.

Date of Death: 25/07/1917

Additional information: Son of Paul and Marguerite Picket Taylor, of 61, Chemin du Velemly, Algiers. Was a mining engineer in Algeria. Born Passagem, Brazil.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 26.

Cemetery: POPERINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Someone might trace how a Brazilian born chap with parents in Algiers got into the Royal Engineers in the first place! That might pull another thread loose!!

On Googling, I think I have connected him to the Dublin area, so don't think he's your man.... but?????? 2nd Lt PGA Taylor R E It may help anyone else trying to research the faimily!!

Back to the drawing board....

I think we're going to have to ask you to try and find any reference locally to any Taylor or Rush family connections - anyone of those Names in your local Churchyards? Any local newspaper archives? I think I've gone through all those of those Names with any address info, they seems likely to be ones with no additional information - but which ones??

Clutching a bit here, but as it was a mining area, can any link locally be found for:-

Name: TAYLOR, PHILIP GUSTAVE ADOLPHE

Initials: P G A

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 171st Coy.

Date of Death: 25/07/1917

Additional information: Son of Paul and Marguerite Picket Taylor, of 61, Chemin du Velemly, Algiers. Was a mining engineer in Algeria. Born Passagem, Brazil.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 26.

Cemetery: POPERINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Someone might trace how a Brazilian born chap with parents in Algiers got into the Royal Engineers in the first place! That might pull another thread loose!!

On Googling, I think I have connected him to the Dublin area, so don't think he's your man.... but?????? 2nd Lt PGA Taylor R E It may help anyone else trying to research the faimily!!

Back to the drawing board....

I think we're going to have to ask you to try and find any reference locally to any Taylor or Rush family connections - anyone of those Names in your local Churchyards? Any local newspaper archives? I think I've gone through all those of those Names with any address info, they seems likely to be ones with no additional information - but which ones??

Wow Kevin

This is one hell of a story - I really wish I could find a connection with this guy.....Taylor and Rush families in the Rossington area are thin on the ground - however, the local magazine is my next step - but this will be my last card - will advise, whether successful or not.

Thanks and Regards

John

Rush could be George Rush, 37150, Lancashire Fusiliers. kia 12/10/1916.

Stones gives 2 Sidneys and 1 Shepherd Stones in the area

116 P Taylors died in 14 -18 :(

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm

Checking George Rush and the Stones' connections - I too have found 116 P Taylors - bit of a long shot, but I am working through them - as I tried local press and Church records - without any success - as yet.

Regards

John