Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French horizon blue

matthew lucas

Have a tunic, trousers and greatcoat of French horizon blue that i have had for mnay years and would like a little more information, have tried to post photos, re size ect, but have not been able to, but can e mail pics if needed. has round metal buttons on the front - no flaming greae or anyhting, but it does haver the flaming grenade on the shoulders in the form of small buttons large rolled back cuffs and 2 pockets the collar patches are very dark blue witha green > pointing upwards, written inside is BERA Jan 41 e R.A.C.P, the trousers have the octaganal stamp, but fait near the top and look ww1. so i want to know what unit, what date ec. as for the greatcoat, i understand its to the 8th hussars, plaind large brass buttons on the front, and buttons on the back, covered in horizon blue cloth, lots of stamps inside but you would need to see the photos, i have seen flaming grenade buttons, but brass ones only on earlier coats, or is this something particular for mounted troops

any help most greatfully recieved

matt

Have a tunic, trousers and greatcoat of French horizon blue that i have had for mnay years and would like a little more information, have tried to post photos, re size ect, but have not been able to, but can e mail pics if needed. has round metal buttons on the front - no flaming greae or anyhting, but it does haver the flaming grenade on the shoulders in the form of small buttons large rolled back cuffs and 2 pockets the collar patches are very dark blue witha green > pointing upwards, written inside is BERA Jan 41 e R.A.C.P, the trousers have the octaganal stamp, but fait near the top and look ww1. so i want to know what unit, what date ec. as for the greatcoat, i understand its to the 8th hussars, plaind large brass buttons on the front, and buttons on the back, covered in horizon blue cloth, lots of stamps inside but you would need to see the photos, i have seen flaming grenade buttons, but brass ones only on earlier coats, or is this something particular for mounted troops

any help most greatfully recieved

matt

Hi Matt, tunic sounds like eihter a Chasseur (Rifles) or postwar model (M1929). Send you an MP

Qs

e mails sent, let me know what you think

many thanks

matt

Seems 41 Regiment Artillerie Coloniale Portée

(Portée means on horses)

Pierre

thanks..any thoughts on dates?

matt

Matt,

May I ask you to send me photos of the stamp and patches via my e-mail address from my website bellow, please.

Could be after May 1918

Pierre

e mails sent, let me know your thoughts

many thanks

matt

The 8 blue on black background is after 01/1917 (model for all after these date)

I don't know the regiment for the moment.

The dark blue with green pointing must be before 01/1917

I think maybe a mounted troupe and the green pointing, warrant or officer.

Must be comfirmed, I search.

Pierre

post-6708-1270944561.jpg

post-6708-1270944586.jpg

Black/dark blue wth white soutaches en blue nr is Hussard. Green soutaches usually indicate chasseurs but in this case...doesn't look WW1. :whistle:

many thanks gentlemen, keep those ideas coming they are greatly appreciated! any thoughts on the buttons?

matt

the buttons 'demi-sphérique' without insignia are current for mounted troops (cavalry) although officially they should have the flaming grenade ones, they were often replaced (at the time, that is during and after WW1) by the 'old' type, part of 'esprit de corps'. So, they can go well on a mounted M1914 BH mounted troops Manteau (the mounted troops one is not called a 'capote').

so would the turned up cuffs be post war modification?

and possibly the collar badges on the tunic?

mat

so would the turned up cuffs be post war modification?

and possibly the collar badges on the tunic?

mat

If you're talking about the Manteau , no. On the tunic, yes. Collar patches appear to be 1920/30's (but the phots were to blurred to be sure).

Hello,

I have often wondered about the great variety of patterns of Horizon Blue uniform, having seen so many variations in pattern from a lot of different sources. Are there any fellow collectors out there who can put images onto the forum of horizon blue uniform items, both Officer and Other Ranks so as to create a visual data base, and also information on the differences between WW1 and post-war uniform. I often find a shortage of information in the UK on this subject. Did regimental identification insignia differ between the war time uniform and post war equivalent? How long was Horizon Blue worn after 1919?

Owain.

RACP is Regiment d'Artillerie de Campagne Porté - i.e. Field Artillery.