Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1016023 E.M.Howell. Royal Horse & Royal Field Artillery.

Ronnyson

I wondered if anyone has any information on this gentleman?

He has a grave (RFA inscription) in All Saints Church in Moxley, West Midlands. (about 4 miles from Wolverhampton)

Any information greatfully received.

Edit: Almost forgot - he was 23 years old, should that help at all

From CWGC:

Name: HOWELL, ERIC MAURICE

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery

Date of Death: 04/07/1921

Service No: 1016023

Additional information: Son of George Frederick and Mary Howell, of School House, Moxley; husband of Ethel Beatrice Lucy Howell, of Lee Brook Rd., Ocker Hill, Tipton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: West of Church.

Cemetery: MOXLEY (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD

Not listed in SDGW

In 1911:

HOWELL, George Frederick, Head, Married, Iron Keeper, born 1873 in Wolverhampton Staffs

HOWELL, Mary Ann, Wife, Married 14 years, Asst In Business, born 1874 in Oaker Staffs

HOWELL, Eric Maurice, Son, Single, School Boy, born 1899 in Small Heath Birmingham Warwickshire

HOWELL, Isaac Floy, Boarder, Single, Asst In Business, born 1887 in Bradmore Wolverhampton Staffs

Living at 8 Church St, Moxley, Wednesbury, West Bromwich - guess thats where the churchyard is

Grant

From CWGC:

Name: HOWELL, ERIC MAURICE

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery

Date of Death: 04/07/1921

Service No: 1016023

Additional information: Son of George Frederick and Mary Howell, of School House, Moxley; husband of Ethel Beatrice Lucy Howell, of Lee Brook Rd., Ocker Hill, Tipton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: West of Church.

Cemetery: MOXLEY (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD

Not listed in SDGW

In 1911:

HOWELL, George Frederick, Head, Married, Iron Keeper, born 1873 in Wolverhampton Staffs

HOWELL, Mary Ann, Wife, Married 14 years, Asst In Business, born 1874 in Oaker Staffs

HOWELL, Eric Maurice, Son, Single, School Boy, born 1899 in Small Heath Birmingham Warwickshire

HOWELL, Isaac Floy, Boarder, Single, Asst In Business, born 1887 in Bradmore Wolverhampton Staffs

Living at 8 Church St, Moxley, Wednesbury, West Bromwich - guess thats where the churchyard is

Grant

Grant many thanks for the above, very tragic. I was thinking maybe he had died in an accident of some sort, I saw the date and was intrigued. Strangely I never thought of 'natural causes' or illness at 23. Just shows what assuming does :blush:

Didn't find anything of his war did you by any chance?

No, didnt find any war records - not with ancestry

His death was recorded as a civillian (West Bromwich / 6B / 725 / 3rd qt / 1921)

And there don't appear to be a MIC at the NA for that number, so he proberly didnt serve overseas

Grant

Just checked the BDM's

and the poor sod only got married the year before (Dudley / 6B / 2601 / 3rd qt / 1920)

Might pay trying the local newspaper to see if they have an archive thats lookable at.

Grant

No, didnt find any war records - not with ancestry

His death was recorded as a civillian (West Bromwich / 6B / 725 / 3rd qt / 1921)

And there don't appear to be a MIC at the NA for that number, so he proberly didnt serve overseas

Grant

Many thanks for your replies Grant......what a sad story.

Anyone know if it was common practice for them to do 'military' headstones ........even when the man had returned to civvy street? Would he have had to be a regular soldier to warrant this, or would he have been treated the same if he was a volunteer?

I'm assuming ( :blush: again!!) he would have been demobbed 1919 ish??

If his death was attributed to his Army service then he would have been eligable for a CWGC headstone,

He might have been dismissed as unfit for service through illness or an injury.

I cant see any records on ancestry - I think the best route now is the local newspapers, maybe an orbit or a report on any accidents.

Was there an Artillery training area nearby ?

Got me hooked now :-) - let me know if you find anything in the papers

Grant

Guy's,

It didn't matter what type of service the young soldier was doing to qualify for CWGC commemoration. If he was a civilian when he died then he must have died of injury or illness directly attributable to his time in the uniform.

If he was still in the uniform it didn't matter how he died to have qualified and the qualification dates were 4th August 1914 to 31st August 1921.

As for the headstone, The families could have refused to have a military headstone, but as he is listed on the CWGC database and has a white military headstone his death was directly related to his time in uniform.

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

We dont know if he was a civilian, just that his death was recorded as a civilian as oppose to Armed forces.

Grant

Grant,

I guess the only way you're going to get that answered is by obtaining the death certificate. If only they hadn't bombed that building during the second war. We would all be better for it.

Cheers Andy.

Gents

My sincere apologies.........info. I failed to inform you of.........I thought it was in your original posting Grant, but it must have been when I looked - after you had pointed me in the right direction... :rolleyes: ...

From the CWGC.......cause of death is appendicitis......which is why I asked about the headstone / civvy st

From what you have both said........I guess he must have still been with the RFA ??

Oh heck.........

EDIT: Appendicitis info. came from War Graves Photographic Project .......NOT CWGC as I stated above. :blush:

Seems to be 3 ways to go now,

1, search local newspapers as suggested

2, send off for his death cert, it will list where he died and what his occupation was at the time

3, contact the volunteer who supplied the information to the WGPP site - Names Tony Duncombe, must be able to contact him via the site.

Best option would be to do all three.

As appendicities isn't caused by army service, it does suggest that he was still in service, but treated and died in a local hospital.

As per the PM, I am still curious about this young lad, so post what ever you find out.

Grant

Many thanks to Grant & Andy for all the useful info.

Just thought I'd give you a quick update-

1) Doug Lewis has checked his database of the Express & Star for me, unfortunately Eric is not mentioned.

2) I did contact the volunteer - Tony Duncombe off the WGPP - nice chap got back to me straight away, unfortunately he had no further information.

3) I've ordered the DC .......£9.25 !! ( they went up on 6 April )...... Streuth!! :o Still only way I'll know for sure.....

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be 3 ways to go now,

1, search local newspapers as suggested

2, send off for his death cert, it will list where he died and what his occupation was at the time

3, contact the volunteer who supplied the information to the WGPP site - Names Tony Duncombe, must be able to contact him via the site.

Best option would be to do all three.

As appendicities isn't caused by army service, it does suggest that he was still in service, but treated and died in a local hospital.

As per the PM, I am still curious about this young lad, so post what ever you find out.

Grant

Well, I wonder if anyone can shed any light?

Eric's Death Certificate clearly states his occupation as 'coachbuilder'. It also clearly states he died of appendicitis.

How would Eric have qualified for a CWGC Headstone in these circumstances? :unsure: