Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with this

mandyo

Please can anyone tell me what is the attached picture, I think it belonged to my one of my Great Uncles but I am unsure. The writing in the strip says "Lens", this piece doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the piece. It has a pin clasp on the back

thanks Mandy

post-29831-1270907607.jpg

Maybe it was Len's broach!

What is below the serpants head, hidden by "Lens" ? And what is that under the the coat of arms?

It looks like a sweetheart broach, because of the pin, but without a clearer picture it is difficult to be certain.

Alan

Victorian Crown over Royal Coat of Arms.

A latter addition of the Lens "trench art" plate to an earlier brooach.

TT

It is, as pointed out, a sweetheart brooch. A momento given usually by soldiers to someone at home. The intriguing thing for me is the little plate with ' Lens'. Lens remained in German hands until very late in the war. The battle of Loos was fought just to the north.

.....there is no doubt that the badge/brooch has a Victorian Crown, however most 'sweetheart' badges were generally in respect of a particular regiment/corps. Although the Royal coat of Arms has been seen worn as a cap badge, mainly or exclusively by officers, although I am not certain of this, when not with a particular regiment but on 'General Service'.At some stage they would be with a parent regiment/unit when would assume that would be the subject of a 'sweethearts' badge. Could this be an RSM's sleeve crest that has been subject to 'trench art'. Just a thought.

Tony P