Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buffs and ASC

kintyre51

I am trying to find where the depots were for:

The Buffs - 3rd battalion. I know (I think) from Long, Long Trail that they were a training depot based in UK. Is there a way I can find out exactly where the base was - to the nearest town? It would have been prior to 1.1917.

Also same for ASC Horse Transport reserves.

I am trying to find out why Matthews (J with a brother Sydney) were based in Morash, Cranbrook when they enlisted with ASC but J was buried in a small village - Monkton on 29.12.18. They were both listed as gipsys. I thought maybe the depot was nearby.

Thanks - J might be m grandfather but I'm having trouble finding much about him other than enlistment form (For ASC which stated he was in the buffs but no dates) and CWGC cemetary.

Thanks.

3rd Buffs would have been at Depot at Canterbury - I think its Howe Barracks and its still there. If Im wrong no doubt someone will ocrrect me.

The ASC were all over Kent - but I dont know what was specifically at Cranbrook.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Howe Barracks are indeed still there currently occupied by the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Jack Matthews, Driver T/261564, ASC (HT), has a full Pension Record on Ancestry.

He was medically discharged from 309 Company ASC on 25/9/17. On being discharged, he gave his address as c/o Post Office, Wingham, Nr Canterbury.

I can't find anywhere that looks like it may be Meorash, Cranbrook, but there is a Molash, SW of Canterbury.

It looks like the families tramping ground was roughly along what is the A28.

His death certificate will probably give you the best answer.

Phil

Jack Matthews, Driver T/261564, ASC (HT), has a full Pension Record on Ancestry.

He was medically discharged from 309 Company ASC on 25/9/17. On being discharged, he gave his address as c/o Post Office, Wingham, Nr Canterbury.

I can't find anywhere that looks like it may be Meorash, Cranbrook, but there is a Molash, SW of Canterbury.

It looks like the families tramping ground was roughly along what is the A28.

His death certificate will probably give you the best answer.

Phil

Great - thanks for that.

I found his brother who enlisted at the same time as him and his address was Morash but I still can't find it at Cranboook. I'll apply for his death certificate.