Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any info on 7th cheshire Regt

mcfc1923

my gt grandfather was with the rifle brigade 19th western, but before that he was with the 7th cheshire regt, can't seem to find any info on the 7th cheshire.

cheers

jim

Jim,

You might be able to fine the Battalion War Diary at the National Archives. It is not on the master list located in the 'War Diaries' section of this forum. Also had a look on the Naval and Military Press site and no luck there either.

Cheers Andy.

Jim

You'll find the major activities of the 1/7th (Maccesfield's Territorial Bn) in Crookenden's Regimental history - basically Gallipoli then Egypt until around the summer of 1918 when they went to France. Local gossip says there's a battalion history in the writing - Forum member Mercian Volunteer (Steve) is from Macc and may know more.

John

Quite a few members on here have an interest in the 7th Cheshires... Why not post what you know about your great grandfather as someone may know something about him?

The war diary for tha battalion's time at Gallipoli is available to download from the National Archives, covering August to December 1915.

There is a Book "For Kings and Country" already in print which documents the WW1 History of old boys.Kings School being the premier School in Macclesfield.

As John writes, there may be a Book about the 7th Cheshires in the process of being written and a personal message to Steve(Mercian Volunteer) should reveal the current position on the proposed Book or as Jon states post your Grt/Grandfather's details/information,on the Forum.

George

cheers guys for all the info, excellent.

i have my gt grandfathers service records and medal card and it mentions nothing of the 7th cheshire regiment, a long while back i received info from soldiers died in the great war and right at the end it said "Comments: Formerly 3454, 7th Cheshire Regt.

so that's what made me wonder about the 7th cheshire, which i could not find anything about. starting to wonder if it's a printing error ?

his name is pte Samuel James Henderson,19th western battalion rifle brigade, on his MIC he has two service numbers the top one is 838 then underneath it's 201595

cheers

jim

I'm a little bit confused as to what you have as you say there was no mention of the 7th Cheshires in his service record, as I searched for them on Ancestry and they mention the Cheshires quite a bit.

Unfortunately due to fire/water/fading ink or pencil quite a lot is not very readable.

His attestation form looks like it says "7th Cheshire Regt Special Guard"... Not sure what the "Special Guard" is but it states that on serveral different forms. His address is 65 St Paul's Road, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead. He stated he had previous service with the 3rd Border Regt.

His service started on 12 March 1915. There are a number of other entries with the Cheshires but they are frustratingly indistinct. He appears to have transferred to the Rifle Brigade in late 1915 as he embarked to from Devonport to Alexandria with them in December 1915. His service with the Cheshires prior to this had all been in the UK.

i stand corrected, my eyes ain't what they used to be, the 7th are mentioned on more than a few occasions.

he was born in Cumbria so i suppose that's where the Border Regiment comes in(took me a while to find that, you must have eyes like a hawk jon)

So i would assume he was a weekend soldier with the Border Reg before the war? when war started he went to 7th Cheshire special reserve, duties on home soil, while waiting to be posted abroad with rifle brigade?

does it make sence?

3rd Bn Border Regt would have been the reserve battalion. Would he have been on the reserve unless he had previously been a regular? I'm not sure.

At 45 years old I'm not sure he could have been made to go to anything -- he must have volunteered, and since reserves of the Cheshires were just up the road from him in Birkenhead that's probably why he ended up there.

I'm still not sure what the "Special Guard" are -- Google has been no help.

3rd Bn Border Regt would have been the reserve battalion. Would he have been on the reserve unless he had previously been a regular? I'm not sure.

At 45 years old I'm not sure he could have been made to go to anything -- he must have volunteered, and since reserves of the Cheshires were just up the road from him in Birkenhead that's probably why he ended up there.

I'm still not sure what the "Special Guard" are -- Google has been no help.

i know in 1901 he was a labourer in a soapworks.

i wonder if the special reserves were guarding depot's and looking after recruits etc