Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain David Francis Scollard MC

Stebie9173

I hope our Royal Irish Rifles experts can help.

While I am not trying to research Captain David Francis Scollard M.C. per se, I am trying to help out a descendant of one of the men lost with him whilst the Captain was out on patrol on the night of the 20th/21st April 1917 "at Vierstraat", in the hope that casting a little more light on the Rifleman lost with him.

Two excerpts from Falls point me in the direction of Whyschaete / Wijtschate and the Peit Bois just west of the village:

"The 7th Battalion, in line opposite Wytschaete, began the year 1917 with a raid on the Petit Bois Salient in the enemy's lines. This was carried out under the command of Captain D. Scallard (sic), by three parties, under the leadership of 2nd-Lieutenant H. Boyle, 2nd-Lieutenant M. Hartery, and Captain Barnett, at 3 a.m. on January 4th. It was a surprise, and all three parties entered the enemy’s trenches, inflicting considerable loss on him. But the Germans rallied, and a hard bombing fight ensued. Unfortunately it was impossible to take any prisoners. Our casualties were very light, two men only wounded."

The transcription I seen of Falls misstates his name as Scallard, but I believe it is correctly Scollard. Captain Scollard was awarded the Military Cross for this raid, I believe.

and

"In April the 7th Battalion visited the area in which the 2nd carried out its training a little later, Tournehem. It remained here twelve days, four being devoted to company training, four to battalion, and four to brigade. Then it returned to its old Vierstraat sector. Almost at once there was an unfortunate occurrence, Captain Scallard (sic), M.C., who had carried out the raid already recorded, being waylaid by a German party in "No Man's Land" and captured with two men."

I'm assuming (perhaps erroneously) that the second raid/patrol was possibly against the Petit Bois salient as well?

Does anyone have any more they can add to this, perhaps from the 7th Royal Irish Rifles War Diary?

Steve.

Ulsterlad may be your man .. he is well into the 7th Rifles far as I know.

All I have, you already have!

Thanks, Des.

I'll give Ulsterlad a chance to reply, and then PM him later if he doesn't see this.

Steve.

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks anyway.

Anyway, I believe I have enough to give the Rifleman's relative a good idea of where and how he was killed. Apologies for not showing his name, but he is on the wrong memorial, and I want to consult with the family before "making waves".

Steve.