Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stavros

Rockdoc

I've come across some events at Stavros in the later records of 95th AAS that have made me realise that I know almost nothing about it. There are references to aircraft spotting for monitors - presumably bombarding the far coastline, to the monitors attacking a U-boot that had attacked HMS Abercrombie and HMS Endymion and also to its air defences. There are several mentions of "engaged by Navy", which I took to mean ships, but I recently came across a reference to a 3-inch gun or guns. That would be a 3-in 20-cwt AA gun but none of the Army AA Sections had anything to do with them. So which unit did? One of the Navy AA units mentioned elsewhere on the Forum recently?

Can anyone point me towards info on/pictures of Stavros?

Keith

This is by way of a speculation, but after the withdrawal from Gallipoli the RND was split up to garrison the islands of Lemnos, Imbros and Tenedos, with a forth part of the force going to Stavros. Those on Imbros and Tenedos had to supply detachments to "take over from the RNAS three anti-aircraft guns. The crews for these guns were found from volunteers from the Hawke and Drake Battalions." (Jerrold's 'The Royal Naval Division')

I wonder if the RND contingent which went to Stavros performed a similar task there?

It may be worth checking the Naval and Royal Marine Brigade diaries for Jan-May 1916

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Upon seeing the topic title, I wondered if it was something to do with the Daleks, and then maybe a peon in praise of Bulgarian wine, but read it and realised that,as I know next to nothing about the campaign in the Salonika region, I am learning all the time from the explanations given.

Keep it up please, I am eager to learn more.

Bruce

Michael, I did a search of the NA Catalogue and found CAB 23/7 - a free download - that briefly records the torpedoing of HMS Endymion at Stavros. The signal to the Admiralty originated at Mudros, suggesting that the Naval activities at Stavros were under that command.

Bruce, I'm in a not too dissimilar position. I never expected my interest in 99th AA Section would blossom in the way it has nor that it would lead to so many peripheral events that absolutely have to be solved.

Btw, the maker of the Daleks was Davros.

Keith - old enough to remember Episode 1 of Dr Who: An Unearthly Child!