Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank signalling discs

Rolfi

Can anyone tell me more about the disc codes used by Tanks in 1917. I believe three colours were used on a steel rod; maybe something like these...

post-4543-1270820638.jpg

Single green disc= wire cut or crushed

Single red disc = wire intact

Single white = forward

Red and green discs = objective reached

Red and white discs = enemy in small numbers

Red, white and green = enemy is retiring.

One source states that there were thirty nine different combinations,I reckon at most fifteen, and that the codes were printed on cards and distributed to tank crews and to the infantry.

Can anyone add to this?

Thanks

RW

I had a scanned copy of the original issued leaflet to tank crews but it was a bad scan so I transcribed it.

John

With reference to my previous post here are the Tank Discs:-

John

post-1365-1271181617.jpg

I take it that the bars and edge markings are for the colour blind.

Alan

As far as the commonest form of colour blindness to affect males, they could not have picked worse.

As far as the commonest form of colour blindness to affect males, they could not have picked worse.

Can you explain? The white bar across the red and the edging round the green would distinguish the two even for those with red green colour blindness - your statement does not seem to make sense. Ghost's does.

• 8 years later...
On 12/04/2010 at 21:01, johnreed said:

I had a scanned copy of the original issued leaflet to tank crews but it was a bad scan so I transcribed it.

John

Here you go ...

763474879_TankSignalbooklet01from123InfBdeWarDiaryMay1917.jpg.d7077c815d3ef62a935a852ddcd9a20b.jpg

607969089_TankSignalbooklet02from123InfBdeWarDiaryMay1917.jpg.d5679074fded8347718a1521df08f885.jpg

I found this by chance in the 123 Infantry Brigade (41st Division) war diary of May 1917 while researching an action involving the 18th and 21st KRRC.

John - these images have been compressed and reduced.  Drop me a PM if you want the full size original scans.

Mark