Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I & II ANZAC and Australian Corps

sjustice

Hello all,

Can anyone point me to a published, i.e. printed, order of battle of command and staff appointments for the two Australia/New Zealand Army Corps, and the Australian Corps, through their Great War existences? I don't want the divisions, just the parent corps organizations.

Cheers,

Simon

Hello Simon

These formations do seem to have slipped through the gap of published orders of battle! They are not included in Part 4 of Becke, nor the extension of that series by F E Perry which only goes to divisional level. The Canadian Corps, and the two Indian Corps in France, were covered by Col Terry Cave in articles in Stand To! (the WFA journal) in about 1990 but he never got round to the Australians.

Some information about II Anzac can be gleaned from Becke, after they became the XXII Corps.

There was a series of publications by the BEF in France entitled "Composition of Headquarters, British Armies in France." There is a single edition of this, dated Dec 1918, in the UL at Cambridge, which I have seen, but if any earlier copies have survived the most likely places to find them would be the IWM, the NAM or possibly in TNA at Kew. Class WO33 contains some similar publications but for Home Forces. There are also some WO classes at Kew entitled "Headquarters Papers" and "Confidential Print" which might be worth a look.

Try the Bodleian, too, of course!

Ron

Thanks for the input, both.

Ron, there's a possibility at Kew I hadn't thought of.

David, it's the individuals I am interested in, but thank you for the thought.

I was pretty much resigned to the prospect of heavy leg-work on this one, but hard work never hurt anyone (did it?)!

Was worth a shot.

Cheers,

Simon