Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Wyatt 21560 Queen's Royal West Surrey

brendanwyatt

My grandfather Chalres William Brelaz Wyatt transferred to the Queen's Royal West Surrey regiment, service no, 21560, on 21/09/1916. Intruigingly, his service record shows that he was awaiting trial from 19/01/1918 to 29/01/1918 and then faced a district courtmartial on 30/01/1918. Unfortunatley the section of the page which states his misdemeanor is burnt. He received 90 days detention and was demoted from corporal to private.

Do copies of courtmartial procedings exist and if so is it possible to get one so that I may find out what he did to merit the punishment?

Regards,

Brendan

Brendan

There are Court martial records at Kew,quite a few different sections in the WO series. If you search on the National Archives Catalogue (three boxes at the bottom of the form) enter Courts Martial on top line and WO on bottom line you will get the various sections to choose from. You can then interrogate the sections by clicking on the browse button halfway up the right side of the form.

Sotonmate

Brendan

There are Court martial records at Kew,quite a few different sections in the WO series. If you search on the National Archives Catalogue (three boxes at the bottom of the form) enter Courts Martial on top line and WO on bottom line you will get the various sections to choose from. You can then interrogate the sections by clicking on the browse button halfway up the right side of the form.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thank you for the advice. I will check out the National Archives.

Brendan