Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Bn KRRC at Cambrai

bullen3440

Hi all,

I'm looking to see if anyone can shed any further light on A Coy11th Bn prisoners taken on 30th Nov 1917 during the German counter offensive. I have a relative, 200595 Pte D. Strachan that i know was captured on this date, but that's it. I'm trying to find where he may have been held. If anyone could shed any further light it would be much appreciated.

Before I start checking anything my "rifles nose" is sensing that that Service Number is missing an alphabetic prefix.

Can you confirm his SN is just "200595" and not A/200595 or R/200595 :thumbsup:

These prefixes are a vital part of KRRC and RB sservice numbers.

Cheers,

Mark

Before I start checking anything my "rifles nose" is sensing that that Service Number is missing an alphabetic prefix.

Can you confirm his SN is just "200595" and not A/200595 or R/200595 :thumbsup:

These prefixes are a vital part of KRRC and RB sservice numbers.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, sorry you're correct, he had an A/ prefix !

Bullen,

I have no info yet on where he was held, but he belongs to a large group of men from the Cambridgeshire Regiment that were transferred to various battalions in the KRRC as a block.

The block begins approximately at Service Number A/200550 (give or take a few).

Most of these men were posted into the 20th Division battalions (10th, 11th and 12th KRRC) but a few appear in e.g. 4th and 8th Btn.

A small number of these Cambs men appear to have also spent time with the Essex Regiment.

Andy :ph34r: and I are looking into the A/2xxxxx and B/2xxxxx Service Numbers at the moment and our working hypothesis is that these were recruits from the second half of the War who were transferred to the KRRRC or the RB on their first arrival at the Infantry Base Depot in France.

My suggestion for finding his POW movements is to see if you can find a man ...

• with a Service Number between A/200550 and (say) A/200600
  • who has a Service Record on Ancestry
  • served in 11/KRRC or 12/KRRC
  • was also captured at Cambrai in Nov 1917
Such a man is likely to have some mention of the POW Head Camp he was at. It's a fair bet that the majority of the OR prisoners from the same units would be kept together.

A fair bit of donkey work, but I'd say with a good chance of success.

What do you think? I assume you have access to Ancestry?

Keep us up-to-date, cos I'd very much like to know what you find out!

Cheers,

Mark