Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Price - Army Service Corp

Barb52

I would appreciate any help in finding information on my grandfather Frederick Price. He was born in Liverpool in 1886 and married there in 1909. I know he was a driver in the Motor Transport division of the ASC. I have an undated post card from him to my grandmother with the picture of Nideggen, Eifel - Rurpartie on the front. On the back he has written that he had been staying there for several days and that it was a big house that was being used as a hospital for MT drivers. How would I find out when that was being used as a hospital and if my grandfather had been wounded? I do not know his service number and looking in the index there were dozens of Frederick Prices. I have two possible addresses in Liverpool for him. He and my grandmother were living at 8 Danby St in the 1911 census, and by 1917 at 7 Lyell St, where he lived the rest of his life. He died in 1951.

I would like to know if there are any web sites that I could use as I live in the US.

Thanks for any help

Barb

Barb

Niddegen is a German town in the EIFEL hills on the Ruhr River, hence the wording on the card (see link below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nideggen

This means Frederick was part of the Army of occupation at the end of the War.

Did he have a middle name by any chance?

With the address a certainty, maybe a Liverpudlian or Evertonian Pal could have a look in the "Absent Voters register" to see if there's any info on him there?

What I suggest you do Barb is add in the "Topic description" space under the address bar "absent voters roll lookup, Liverpool", it'll draw the attention of people whe may not have looked at your post but could help.

Sam

Barb

Niddegen is a German town in the EIFEL hills on the Ruhr River, hence the wording on the card (see link below)

With the address a certainty, maybe a Liverpudlian or Evertonian Pal could have a look in the "Absent Voters register" to see if there's any info on him there?

What I suggest you do Barb is add in the "Topic description" space under the address bar "absent voters roll lookup, Liverpool", it'll draw the attention of people whe may not have looked at your post but could help.

Sam

Barb

Sam

Sam

Thanks for the information. I have never found a middle name for my Grandfather. I have copies of both his birth and marriage certificates and no middle name or initial is given. I will post a query about absent voter register as you suggested.

Barb

Might be worth contacting the Central Library or the Merseyside Record Office where the AVL's will be kept Barb to see if they offer a look up service, given the distance away you live. Ancestry is useful too as a service record may survive. My grandfather was in the ASC too as an MT driver and also coincidentally in the Army of Occupation though his records are lost.

Good Luck.

Peridot

Barb

Looked in Kelly's Directories for Liverpool 1938 & 1947 in case he had a middle initial and it appeared in the listings but in both he is just listed as Frederick Price Motor Driver. He isn't listed in Gore's 1911 Directory which means nothing, only three addresses are listed for Danby street - sometimes only rent/mortgage owners are listed, anyone living in 'rooms' (courts, flats, apartments) weren't. It is thought that people paid to be included in directories, so a lot of people aren't

Caryl