Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Eric John Finzi Queens (Royal West Surrey)

mark holden

Would anyone be able to tell me which Bn of the Queens (RWS) Lieut E J Finzi served with? His Medal card shows arrival in France in 1917 and entitled BWM and VM but not the Bn he served with in France.

Many thanks

Mark

Mark

I had hoped to give you his service file number as it would be in there. In the absence of any Officer file for a Finzi I can only assume that he served beyond 1922,and that his file reference will be listed in the WO338 index,with a P prefix,and not yet in the public domain.

His MIC actually shows 17.6.1918 and you can find which Battalion he landed with from the original Medal Roll at Kew under WO329/2182,which contains the reference (as shown on the MIC) "Officer 158 page 207".

If you seek other information on him and can't prove a family link to the service record,you might get some info from the Surrey History Centre in Woking,who have data on both the Queen's RWS and the East Surreys.

Sotonmate

According to the nominal rolls for officers of the Queen’s held at the Surrey History Centre (their reference: 8227/1/-):

Eric John Finzi joined the 5th battalion, QRWS, on 7 March 1918 and served with them, as part of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, until 16 June. He landed in France on 17 June and joined the 2/4th Queen’s on 22 June 1918. He left them for demobilization on 18 January 1919.

Duncan

Many thanks to all who have helped uncover a bit more about this young officer-its much appreciated.

regards

Mark

I can only find him in lists of Jewish people who were promoted, and American Jewish entries.