Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Maurice Dease V.C.

Culmullen

Our local historical group are keen to replace a plaque to Lt. Dease in our local Catholic Church and which was mis-placed during recent renovations. The Dease family lived in our locality at the end of the 1800's. We would welcome any family info available please

Nick

DEASE, MAURICE JAMES

Initials: M J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/08/1914

Awards: V C

Additional information: Son of Edmund F. and Katherine M. Dease, of Levington, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath. One of the first British officer battle casualties of the war and the first posthumous recipient of the VC of the war.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. B. 2.

Cemetery: ST. SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY

Citation: An extract from "The London Gazette," dated 16th Nov., 1914. records the following:- "Though two or three times badly wounded he continued to control the fire of his machine guns at Mons on 23rd Aug., until all his men were shot. He died of his wounds

Sorry welcome to the Forum.

Gary.

• Admin

I have photos of a memorial cross in Woodchester, in Gloucestershire where Dease is named if you would like a copy. Once you have made 5 posts you can PM me your email address.

Michelle

DEASE, MAURICE JAMES

Initials: M J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/08/1914

Awards: V C

Additional information: Son of Edmund F. and Katherine M. Dease, of Levington, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath. One of the first British officer battle casualties of the war and the first posthumous recipient of the VC of the war.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. B. 2.

Cemetery: ST. SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY

Citation: An extract from "The London Gazette," dated 16th Nov., 1914. records the following:- "Though two or three times badly wounded he continued to control the fire of his machine guns at Mons on 23rd Aug., until all his men were shot. He died of his wounds

Sorry welcome to the Forum.

Gary.

• Admin

Nick, will do, I'll have to sort them out for you. You might want to delete your email address from the above post, I have noted it.

Cheers, Michelle

• Admin

Sent, sorry about the quality of one of them.

Michelle

Our local historical group are keen to replace a plaque to Lt. Dease in our local Catholic Church and which was mis-placed during recent renovations. The Dease family lived in our locality at the end of the 1800's. We would welcome any family info available please

Nick

Ask Stonyhurst - I am sure the school has all sorts of information and possibly a portrait

I have a copy of the Stonyhurst War Record, which has a portrait of Maurice Dease VC as well as a page and a half of text. He also attended Wimbledon College in south-west London. If you can send me a PM with your postal address, then I will send you a photocopy of what I have.

Dave Swarbrick

P.S. There has also been discussion of this man before - use the "Search" button in the tabs top right and enter his name in the box.

Nick

I thought I had a picture of him from The Great War Mag.

Hope this puts a face to this hero,

Cheers

Atnomis

LTMJDeace4thRoyalFusiliers2-1.jpg

Nick

Hiya Nick, I am sure that you will get all the info you need here. Just one small point you say that the plaque was "misplaced" what do you mean was it lost or stolen etc.

Regards

Norman

Hiya Nick, I am sure that you will get all the info you need here. Just one small point you say that the plaque was "misplaced" what do you mean was it lost or stolen etc.

Regards

Norman

Quiet litterally, it got lost when the plas

ter was stripped off the walls back to the plain brickwork. The Church is now a mecca for weddings; small, beautiful and we would love to have the plaque replaced after about ten years!

New email sent - though the first doesn't appear to have bounced back to me - so if you don't have it I wonder where it's gone?

Dave Swarbrick

New email sent - though the first doesn't appear to have bounced back to me - so if you don't have it I wonder where it's gone?

Dave Swarbrick

Got the mail. Many thanks